all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Unicode 6.0 beta
@ 2010-06-04 14:46 Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2010-06-04 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs developers

The beta review for Unicode 6.0 just started. I think it'd be useful
to upgrade the trunk to use the beta Unicode 6.0 data, so any problem
with it can be detected as soon as possible, in accordance with the
recommendations from Unicode (at
http://www.unicode.org/versions/beta.html):

"We strongly encourage implementers to review the summary description,
download the beta 6.0.0 Unicode Character Database files, and test
their programs with the new data, well before the end of the beta
period."

It also says:

"No products or implementations should be released based on the beta
UCD data files -- use only the final, approved Version 6.0.0 data
files, expected on September 30, 2010."

but I don't think we're planning to do a 24.1 release before September
30, so it should be no problem.

Comments?

    Juanma

* Re: Unicode 6.0 beta
@ 2010-06-04 17:06 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-06-04 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: Emacs developers

> The beta review for Unicode 6.0 just started. I think it'd be useful
> to upgrade the trunk to use the beta Unicode 6.0 data, so any problem
> with it can be detected as soon as possible, in accordance with the
> recommendations from Unicode (at
> http://www.unicode.org/versions/beta.html):

Assuming there's been no odd license change, then yes, we should
probably switch to that beta data in preparation for using 6.0 when
Emacs-24 comes out.

This said, it's probably not very urgent or even important at this point.

* Re: Unicode 6.0 beta
@ 2010-06-04 17:15   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-06-04 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: lekktu, emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 13:06:58 -0400
> Cc: Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> > The beta review for Unicode 6.0 just started. I think it'd be useful
> > to upgrade the trunk to use the beta Unicode 6.0 data, so any problem
> > with it can be detected as soon as possible, in accordance with the
> > recommendations from Unicode (at
> > http://www.unicode.org/versions/beta.html):
>
> Assuming there's been no odd license change, then yes, we should
> probably switch to that beta data in preparation for using 6.0 when
> Emacs-24 comes out.

FWIW, the bidi code is already compatible with what Unicode 6.0 adds
to UAX#9.

* Re: Unicode 6.0 beta
@ 2010-06-04 17:21   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2010-06-04 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Emacs developers

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 19:06, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> Assuming there's been no odd license change

None has been announced.

> This said, it's probably not very urgent or even important at this point.

Installing the Unicode character data file and updated
lisp/international/uni-* files is trivial. Can I go ahead?

    Juanma

* Re: Unicode 6.0 beta
@ 2010-06-04 20:41     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-06-04 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: Emacs developers

>> This said, it's probably not very urgent or even important at this point.
> Installing the Unicode character data file and updated
> lisp/international/uni-* files is trivial. Can I go ahead?

Fine by me.  Maybe Kenichi Handa has a different opinion?

* Re: Unicode 6.0 beta
@ 2010-06-04 22:02       ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2010-06-04 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Emacs developers

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 22:41, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> Fine by me.  Maybe Kenichi Handa has a different opinion?

I'll ask him.

    Juanma

* Re: Unicode 6.0 beta
@ 2010-06-09  2:42     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2010-06-09  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

In article <AANLkTimS_zwAItJYB7xZrDezddrVcpXo0dx0zLu84QKa@mail.gmail.com>, Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 19:06, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> > Assuming there's been no odd license change

> None has been announced.

> > This said, it's probably not very urgent or even important at this point.

> Installing the Unicode character data file and updated
> lisp/international/uni-* files is trivial. Can I go ahead?

I have no objection.  But, please take care about a newly
added property value (if any).  If there's such,
unidata-gen.el may need adjustment.

---
handa@m17n.org

PS.  Sorry for the late response.  I'm now in a hospital and
just got a way to access the Internet.  From now on,
I may be able to read mails once a day or two.

* Re: Unicode 6.0 beta
@ 2010-06-09  3:52       ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2010-06-09  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 04:42, Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> wrote:

> I have no objection.  But, please take care about a newly
> added property value (if any).  If there's such,
> unidata-gen.el may need adjustment.

None is documented.

Analyzing UnicodeData.txt, the only "new property value" is this one

1F521;INPUT SYMBOL FOR LATIN SMALL LETTERS;So;0;On;;;;;N;;;;;

which has "On" for the Unicode bidi class, but that's surely an error
for ON in the data file.

> PS.  Sorry for the late response.  I'm now in a hospital and

Sorry to hear that.

    Juanma