all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* rcirc question
@ 2011-02-28  3:04 B. T. Raven
       [not found] ` <mailman.1.1298888972.24467.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: B. T. Raven @ 2011-02-28  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Can I connect to more than one irc server at a time? I don't have
rcirc-server-alist in my variables (via C-h v) but do have:

 '(rcirc-startup-channels-alist (quote (("^irc.dal.net$" "#chan1")
("^irc.freenode.net$" "#rcirc"))))

rcirc connects only to dal.net

Ed

* Re: rcirc question
@ 2011-02-28 10:29 ` Deniz Dogan
       [not found] ` <mailman.1.1298888972.24467.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-02-28 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: B. T. Raven; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

2011/2/28 B. T. Raven <nihil@nihilo.net>:
> Can I connect to more than one irc server at a time? I don't have
> rcirc-server-alist in my variables (via C-h v) but do have:
>
>  '(rcirc-startup-channels-alist (quote (("^irc.dal.net$" "#chan1")
> ("^irc.freenode.net$" "#rcirc"))))
>
> rcirc connects only to dal.net

rcirc-startup-channels-alist is obsolete in Emacs 23 and has been
replaced by rcirc-server-alist.  If you use Emacs 23, use this
new variable and configure it through customize.

If you don't use Emacs 23 or a more recent version,
rcirc-startup-channels-alist can be used to tell rcirc what
channels to join when the server matches one of your
regexps. However, the setting does _not_ say what servers to
connect to.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to tell rcirc to connect to
multiple servers automatically on older Emacs versions. Try:

(defun my-irc ()
  (interactive)
  (rcirc-connect "irc.dal.net"
                 6667
                 "my_nick"
                 "username"
                 "fullname"
                 '("#chan1"))
  (rcirc-connect "irc.freenode.net" ...))

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: rcirc question
       [not found] ` <mailman.1.1298888972.24467.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-03-01 20:02   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2011-03-01 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Deniz Dogan wrote:
> 2011/2/28 B. T. Raven <nihil@nihilo.net>:
>> Can I connect to more than one irc server at a time? I don't have
>> rcirc-server-alist in my variables (via C-h v) but do have:
>>
>>  '(rcirc-startup-channels-alist (quote (("^irc.dal.net$" "#chan1")
>> ("^irc.freenode.net$" "#rcirc"))))
>>
>> rcirc connects only to dal.net
>>

> rcirc-startup-channels-alist is obsolete in Emacs 23 and has been
> replaced by rcirc-server-alist.  If you use Emacs 23, use this
> new variable and configure it through customize.
>
> If you don't use Emacs 23 or a more recent version,
> rcirc-startup-channels-alist can be used to tell rcirc what
> channels to join when the server matches one of your
> regexps. However, the setting does _not_ say what servers to
> connect to.
>
> As far as I can tell, there is no way to tell rcirc to connect to
> multiple servers automatically on older Emacs versions. Try:
>
> (defun my-irc ()
>   (interactive)
>   (rcirc-connect "irc.dal.net"
>                  6667
>                  "my_nick"
>                  "username"
>                  "fullname"
>                  '("#chan1"))
>   (rcirc-connect "irc.freenode.net" ...))

Thanks, Deniz. That last snippet should work for me. I didn't upgrade to
ver. 23 because getting emacsclientw to work with ver. 22 was such a
nightmare that I am terrified of even looking at the w32 registry again.
 I will wait until someone comes up with a fool-proof .reg file that I
can just incorporate into my registry. I think there are about 500 lines
in it now that have some variant of "emacs..." in them.

Ed

p.s. I already know about the Emacs client wiki where it talks about
VBscript and other things I don't want to know about.

* Re: rcirc question
@ 2011-03-01 22:30     ` Vagn Johansen
From: Vagn Johansen @ 2011-03-01 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:

> Thanks, Deniz. That last snippet should work for me. I didn't upgrade to
> ver. 23 because getting emacsclientw to work with ver. 22 was such a
> nightmare that I am terrified of even looking at the w32 registry again.
>  I will wait until someone comes up with a fool-proof .reg file that I
> can just incorporate into my registry. I think there are about 500 lines
> in it now that have some variant of "emacs..." in them.

What did you change in the registry?

emacsclientw usually "just works" via

  1) add (server-start) to .emacs
  2) run emacsclient -n <filename>

--
Vagn Johansen

* Re: rcirc question
@ 2011-03-02  5:50       ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2011-03-02  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Vagn Johansen wrote:
> "B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:
>
>> Thanks, Deniz. That last snippet should work for me. I didn't upgrade to
>> ver. 23 because getting emacsclientw to work with ver. 22 was such a
>> nightmare that I am terrified of even looking at the w32 registry again.
>>  I will wait until someone comes up with a fool-proof .reg file that I
>> can just incorporate into my registry. I think there are about 500 lines
>> in it now that have some variant of "emacs..." in them.
>
> What did you change in the registry?
>
> emacsclientw usually "just works" via
>
>   1) add (server-start) to .emacs
>   2) run emacsclient -n <filename>

I'm pretty sure that at that time emacsclientw didn't "just work."

I start emacs from a shortcut on the desktop with target:
C:\Emacs\bin\runemacs.exe --debug-init
Environment:
ALTERNATE_EDITOR c:\emacs\bin\runemacs.exe
HOME C:\emacs

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open\command]
@="c:\\emacs\\bin\\emacsclientw.exe -n  \"%1\""

and this same string in many other places, as well as file associations
for about 30 file extensions, etc. Maybe the answer is as simple as
renaming C:\emacs as c:\emacs22 and then c:\emacs23 as c:\emacs. That
way all the paths should be correct in the registry. I may need a new
auctex and a few other things for emacs ver. 23.