all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* About http-post
@ 2010-07-03 19:41 Qiang Guo
From: Qiang Guo @ 2010-07-03 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

Does anyone ever use Google login service in emacs ? It
says that you need to post to its login server, so I tried
the following code:
++---------------------------------------------
(let ((url-request-method        "POST")
      (url-request-extra-headers `(("Content-Type" . "application/x-www-form-urlencoded")))
      (url-request-data  "accountType=HOSTED_OR_GOOGLE&Email=xx@gmail.com&Passwd=xx"))
  (with-current-buffer (url-retrieve-synchronously "https://www.google.com/accounts/ClientLogin")
    (buffer-string)))
++---------------------------------------------
However, the code hangs after openning connection and never
revive. What's the problem here ?

Also, does url-retrieve-synchronously have some time-out
function, so it doesn't have to wait forever !

Thanks

Qiang

* Re: About http-post
@ 2010-07-03 20:27 ` Ken Hori
From: Ken Hori @ 2010-07-03 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maybe you are aware of it, but you will be sending your password in
plaintext with that POST request, you know.
Are you sure that's what you want? I thought they provided more secure
method of authenticating your identity (with oouth or whatever).

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Qiang Guo <mcknight0219@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Does anyone ever use Google login service in emacs ? It
> says that you need to post to its login server, so I tried
> the following code:
> ++---------------------------------------------
> (let ((url-request-method        "POST")
>      (url-request-extra-headers `(("Content-Type" . "application/x-www-form-urlencoded")))
>      (url-request-data  "accountType=HOSTED_OR_GOOGLE&Email=xx@gmail.com&Passwd=xx"))
>  (with-current-buffer (url-retrieve-synchronously "https://www.google.com/accounts/ClientLogin")
>    (buffer-string)))
> ++---------------------------------------------
> However, the code hangs after openning connection and never
> revive. What's the problem here ?
>
> Also, does url-retrieve-synchronously have some time-out
> function, so it doesn't have to wait forever !
>
> Thanks
>
> Qiang

* Re: About http-post
@ 2010-07-03 20:30   ` Qiang Guo
From: Qiang Guo @ 2010-07-03 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for your heads-up. Still, I'm wondering what's wrong
with this method, though unsafe as it is ?

* Re: About http-post
@ 2010-07-03 20:37     ` Ken Hori
From: Ken Hori @ 2010-07-03 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Content-length is usually required in the header for POST requests,
though I haven't looked into it closely.