(sorry if this email is a duplicate, but the first one was lost apparently) Hello everyone, in my init.el I have (set-register ?i '(file . "~/.emacs.d/init.el")) which allows me to quickly jump to my init file using C-x r j i But I don't really understand the syntax. Why do I have to use the exclamation mark when I set the register? Why can't I just use: (set-register i '(file . "~/.emacs.d/init.el")) ; will say Symbol's value as variable is void:i I tried to search in the documentation for set-register and variable definition but I did not find anything to really explain it. Thanks for any help. Aurélien