On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Kevin Rodgers wrote: > Cynthia Lee Page wrote: > >> Dear Users, >> >> First off I am a newbie. I installed emacs (in the user folder of my mac >> os10.5.8) and am able to run it from my terminal but I have no gui >> interface. This is the command I used to build >> >> $ ./configure --with-jpeg=no --with-png=no --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no >> >> I did this because I was told to by the error messages when I initially >> attempted to install with just ./configure. >> > > Why not `./configure --with-ns` as suggested in ./nextstep/INSTALL, which > is > referenced by both ./INSTALL and ./nextstep/README? > > So I have two questions is this why I don't get a gui interface? >> >> More importantly can I open with a gui interface with this installation? >> > > Are you running the ./nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs executable > from the terminal? > > Or did you run `make install` after `make`, and are running the > /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs executable from the terminal? > > Does it help to run the executable with the -Q option? > > Can you re-run ./configure and post the output? > > I have downloaded and installed a second version of emacs, the carbon >> version which does open with the gui, I have this file in my applications >> folder. Is there any way I can invoke this version of emacs while in the >> terminal and having ssh'd to a remote host? >> >> Please ask for clarification if this is unclear and thanks in advance for >> any help, >> > > I suggest: > > make distclean > ./configure --with-ns > make > sudo make install > > I always log the output for future reference e.g. > > ./configure --with-ns 2>&1 | tee configure.log > > -- > Kevin Rodgers > Denver, Colorado, USA > > > Kevin's instructions almost got it. To run as a Mac app you have to do the following: make distclean ./configure --with-ns make cd nextstep make install After the last step simply move Emacs.app in the nextstep folder to your /Applications folder. There is no need to run 'sudo make install'. Regards, Mel