all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* slime-connect paredit conflict
@ 2010-10-28  0:20 Glen Rubin
From: Glen Rubin @ 2010-10-28  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am using emacs, slime, swank combo.  When I try to slime-connect, I
initially get the following error:

error in process filter: Symbol's value as variable is void: paredit-
backward-delete-key

If I then try again it works.  So, it's really annoying having to
connect twice all the time!  I was able to resolve this by removing a
code fragment in my .emacs file, but then end up having problems with
undeletable brackets as described in paredit wiki.

Here is my .emacs file:

;;; This was installed by package-install.el.
;;; This provides support for the package system and
;;; interfacing with ELPA, the package archive.
;;; Move this code earlier if you want to reference
;;; packages in your .emacs.
(when
    (load
     (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/elpa/package.el"))
  (package-initialize))

   (add-hook 'slime-repl-mode-hook (lambda () (paredit-mode +1)))
          ;; Stop SLIME's REPL from grabbing DEL,
          ;; which is annoying when backspacing over a '('
          (defun override-slime-repl-bindings-with-paredit ()
            (define-key slime-repl-mode-map
                (read-kbd-macro paredit-backward-delete-key) nil))
                (add-hook 'slime-repl-mode-hook 'override-slime-repl-
bindings-with-paredit)

* Re: slime-connect paredit conflict
@ 2010-10-28  3:14 ` PJ Weisberg
From: PJ Weisberg @ 2010-10-28  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Glen Rubin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 12:20 AM, Glen Rubin <rubinglen@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am using emacs, slime, swank combo.  When I try to slime-connect, I
> initially get the following error:
>
> error in process filter: Symbol's value as variable is void: paredit-
> backward-delete-key
>
> If I then try again it works.  So, it's really annoying having to
> connect twice all the time!  I was able to resolve this by removing a
> code fragment in my .emacs file, but then end up having problems with
> undeletable brackets as described in paredit wiki.
>
> Here is my .emacs file:
>
> ;;; This was installed by package-install.el.
> ;;; This provides support for the package system and
> ;;; interfacing with ELPA, the package archive.
> ;;; Move this code earlier if you want to reference
> ;;; packages in your .emacs.
> (when
>     (load
>      (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/elpa/package.el"))
>   (package-initialize))
>
>    (add-hook 'slime-repl-mode-hook (lambda () (paredit-mode +1)))
>           ;; Stop SLIME's REPL from grabbing DEL,
>           ;; which is annoying when backspacing over a '('
>           (defun override-slime-repl-bindings-with-paredit ()
>             (define-key slime-repl-mode-map
>                 (read-kbd-macro paredit-backward-delete-key) nil))
>                 (add-hook 'slime-repl-mode-hook 'override-slime-repl-
> bindings-with-paredit)

Try changing that last line to "(add-hook 'slime-repl-mode-hook
'override-slime-repl-bindings-with-paredit t)"

* Re: slime-connect paredit conflict
@ 2010-10-29  5:14   ` PJ Weisberg
From: PJ Weisberg @ 2010-10-29  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 5:55 AM, Glen Rubin <rubinglen@yahoo.com> wrote:
> worked!  THX!!!

To take some of the black magic out of this, the problem was that the
file where paredit-backward-delete-key is defined isn't loaded until
the first time you call paredit-mode.  "add-hook" is used to add to a
list of functions that are called when you enter slime-repl-mode, but
by default it adds to the *beginning* of the list.  The extra 't'
tells it to add to the end of the list, so the function that uses the
variable gets called *after* the one that causes it to be loaded.