all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* HTML and CSS in Emacs
@ 2011-02-19 15:00 Alexander Stepanov
From: Alexander Stepanov @ 2011-02-19 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I tried to use some html modes for Emacsand did not find any good
mode. I need autocompletion and highlighting of closing tags. Which
addons to use?

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/6793/npp1.png
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8581/npp2.png

* Re: HTML and CSS in Emacs
@ 2011-02-20  5:07 ` Rafe Kettler
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Rafe Kettler @ 2011-02-20  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I need autocompletion

Set up some abbreviations.<a href="http://docstore.mik.ua/orelly/unix/
upt/ch32_11.htm">This link should get you started on that</a>. I'm not
sure exactly what you'd want to autocomplete, that's your choice.

As for highlighting closing tags, I'm not sure.

* Re: HTML and CSS in Emacs
@ 2011-02-20  5:12 ` Bernardo
From: Bernardo @ 2011-02-20  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Stepanov; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> I tried to use some html modes for Emacsand did not find any good
> mode. I need autocompletion and highlighting of closing tags. Which
> addons to use?
>
> http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/6793/npp1.png
> http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8581/npp2.png

not a straight answer to your question, but i use Auto Complete for C++
and Python code, not sure how hard would it be to provide html support
   http://cx4a.org/software/auto-complete/

a general "Completion" topic on the wiki could be found here
   http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryCompletion#toc3

* Re: HTML and CSS in Emacs
@ 2011-02-20 11:45 ` Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2011-02-20 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Stepanov; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 11:00 PM, Alexander Stepanov <darkdrip@gmail.com>wrote:

> I tried to use some html modes for Emacsand did not find any good
> mode. I need autocompletion and highlighting of closing tags. Which
> addons to use?
>
> http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/6793/npp1.png
> http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8581/npp2.png

nxml-mode has completion for XHTML files.  Nxhtml-mode is based on nxml-mode
with additional features, including mmm-mode for inlined javascript, php,
and RoR code chunks.  I'm not aware of anything that does the dotted line
from opening tag down to closing tag, but Nxhtml is able to fold code.

You likely won't get your Emacs to look as nice as this Notepad++
application, but I bet Emacs understands your HTML better.

--
Le

* Re: HTML and CSS in Emacs
@ 2011-02-20 19:45   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-02-20 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Le Wang; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Alexander Stepanov

Am 20.02.2011 um 12:45 schrieb Le Wang:

> nxml-mode has completion for XHTML files.

It can be found in GNU Emacsen 23.x and 24.0, the developer version
from bzr.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Real Time, adj.:
	Here and now, as opposed to fake time, which only occurs there and
then.

* Re: HTML and CSS in Emacs
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-02-25 20:18 ` Max Penet
From: Max Penet @ 2011-02-25 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 19, 4:00 pm, Alexander Stepanov <darkd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried to use some html modes for Emacsand did not find any good
> mode. I need autocompletion and highlighting of closing tags. Which
> addons to use?
>
> http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/6793/npp1.pnghttp://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8581/npp2.png

I use both yasnippet and zencoding for html editing, it works
wonderfully, i hardly ever type a closing tag or attributes.

For highlighting there are a few choices available, depends if you
need on the fly validation, something more lightweight and also the
template language you use if it s not raw html (in that case yasnippet
allows you to go behond html and define your own snippets, huge
timesaver)

* Re: HTML and CSS in Emacs
@ 2011-02-26 19:49   ` Darth Emacs
From: Darth Emacs @ 2011-02-26 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or had heard anything on approaching
html 5 and css 3 with a mode?

--
* Darth Emacs *

“Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds
the universe together. <http://thinkexist.com/quotes/oprah_winfrey/>”

* Re: HTML and CSS in Emacs
@ 2011-02-27 10:38   ` ken
From: ken @ 2011-02-27 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Penet; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 02/25/2011 03:18 PM Max Penet wrote:
> On Feb 19, 4:00 pm, Alexander Stepanov <darkd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I tried to use some html modes for Emacsand did not find any good
>> mode. I need autocompletion and highlighting of closing tags. Which
>> addons to use?
>>
>> http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/6793/npp1.pnghttp://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8581/npp2.png
>

> I use both yasnippet and zencoding for html editing, it works
> wonderfully, i hardly ever type a closing tag or attributes.

I've been using html-helper-mode for what must be ten years now.  It has
highlighting, autocompletion, and auto-insertion of closing tags... and
a lot more.  When you open a buffer for html editing, a didactic menu
appears, so you can use your mouse to invoke commands.  I prefer the
keyboard though.  Using the prefix-arg (C-u) to relevant HTML tags,
html-helper will put tags around a region you've specified.  Find this
mode on the emacswiki.

hth,
ken

* Re: HTML and CSS in Emacs
@ 2011-03-12 15:35   ` Alexander Stepanov
From: Alexander Stepanov @ 2011-03-12 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 25, 10:18 pm, Max Penet <zcams...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 19, 4:00 pm, Alexander Stepanov <darkd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I tried to use somehtmlmodes for Emacsand did not find any good
> > mode. I need autocompletion and highlighting of closing tags. Which
> > addons to use?
>
> >http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/6793/npp1.pnghttp://img263.imagesh...
>
> I use both yasnippet and zencoding forhtmlediting, it works
> wonderfully, i hardly ever type a closing tag or attributes.
>
> For highlighting there are a few choices available, depends if you
> need on the fly validation, something more lightweight and also the
> template language you use if it s not rawhtml(in that case yasnippet
> allows you to go behondhtmland define your own snippets, huge
> timesaver)

It will be cool to get the highlighting of <foo>-</foo> and {-} in the
same way as Notepad++ does. Validation is not required.

* Re: HTML and CSS in Emacs
@ 2011-03-12 15:46     ` Alexander Stepanov
From: Alexander Stepanov @ 2011-03-12 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I looked at nxml one more time. It has completion of closing tags.
This is a good news for me. And bad news is that nxml does not have
intellisense if html file don't have xhtml declaration. There are a
lot of xml files which begin just with "<html>" and do not have a
doctype.

* Re: HTML and CSS in Emacs
@ 2011-03-12 17:11       ` Perry Smith
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-03-12 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Stepanov; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 12, 2011, at 9:46 AM, Alexander Stepanov wrote:

> I looked at nxml one more time. It has completion of closing tags.
> This is a good news for me. And bad news is that nxml does not have
> intellisense if html file don't have xhtml declaration. There are a
> lot of xml files which begin just with "<html>" and do not have a
> doctype.

I get confused between all the xml variations for emacs.  I'm using

http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/nXhtml/doc/nxhtml.html

The person who wrote it provides really good support.  I'm not
using the standard distribution but one that has been patched.

You might want to try it and if you have complaints / suggestions,
contact the guy and see if he can iron out the problems you are
having.

HTH
Perry

* Re: HTML and CSS in Emacs
@ 2011-03-12 17:35       ` Joe Snikeris
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1.1299951377.9013.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Snikeris @ 2011-03-12 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Stepanov; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Alexander Stepanov <darkdrip@gmail.com> writes:

> I looked at nxml one more time. It has completion of closing tags.
> This is a good news for me. And bad news is that nxml does not have
> intellisense if html file don't have xhtml declaration. There are a
> lot of xml files which begin just with "<html>" and do not have a
> doctype.

Check out nxhmtl-mode:

http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/nXhtml/doc/nxhtml.html

"For files mixing XHTML with codes, like PHP, you can use something I call Fictive XHTML Validation Headers. That allows you to use XHTML completion even if those files does not have the XHTML headers needed."

* Re: HTML and CSS in Emacs
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1.1299951377.9013.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-03-13 15:40         ` Alexander Stepanov
From: Alexander Stepanov @ 2011-03-13 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thank you for your advices. When I’ll have free time I will try to use
at nxhtml and html-helper-mode one more time.
Unfortunately I can't use EmacsW32 because it use too ugly. I use
Windows XP and vanilla emacs. It was difficult to me to install nxml.
nxhtml is even more difficult in installation. It outputted some error
when I tried to use it. I have spent near 4 hours and didn't cope with
this problem

* Re: HTML and CSS in Emacs
@ 2011-03-15 14:41           ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2011-03-15 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 13.03.2011 17:40, Alexander Stepanov wrote:
> Thank you for your advices. When I’ll have free time I will try to use
> at nxhtml and html-helper-mode one more time.
> Unfortunately I can't use EmacsW32 because it use too ugly. I use
> Windows XP and vanilla emacs. It was difficult to me to install nxml.
nxml for a long time come with GNU Emacs...

* Re: HTML and CSS in Emacs
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1.1299951377.9013.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-03-16  3:37       ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2011-03-16  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

It is possible with nxml to associate a schema with an opening tag or file extension, as well as the doctype. See section 6 "Locating a schema" in the nxml manual.