all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* compile, next-error, and vertical frame splitting
@ 2010-05-11 17:17 kent williams
From: kent williams @ 2010-05-11 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Somewhere between Emacs 22 and Emacs 23, a behavior changed:  If you
run a compile, and it's the only window (i.e. if you type C-x 1), when
I use the next-error (C-x `) command, it splits the window vertically
-- i.e. the source file is next to the compilation buffer.  It used to
split it horizontally, so that the source file is under the
compilation buffer.

I want the old behavior back.  The vertically split frame makes the
error messages hard to read due to word wrap.

Is there some option I can set or do I have to hack into the lisp code?

* Re: compile, next-error, and vertical frame splitting
@ 2010-05-11 19:52 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-05-11 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 12:17:17 -0500
>
> Somewhere between Emacs 22 and Emacs 23, a behavior changed:  If you
> run a compile, and it's the only window (i.e. if you type C-x 1), when
> I use the next-error (C-x `) command, it splits the window vertically
> -- i.e. the source file is next to the compilation buffer.  It used to
> split it horizontally, so that the source file is under the
> compilation buffer.
>
> I want the old behavior back.  The vertically split frame makes the
> error messages hard to read due to word wrap.
>
> Is there some option I can set or do I have to hack into the lisp code?

The new behavior tries to be smart, and decides how to split based on
the dimensions of the frame.  You can customize this behavior by
setting split-height-threshold and split-width-threshold.  See the
documentation of these variables and of split-window-preferred-function.

This is all in NEWS, btw.

* Re: compile, next-error, and vertical frame splitting
@ 2010-05-11 20:46   ` kent williams
From: kent williams @ 2010-05-11 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks. Actually it is documented in NEWS, and I'd looked through it,
but I didn't make the connection between the 'split-window-sensibly'
thing and compilation.

At any rate setting split-width-threshold to nil gets the desired
behavior... well, the behavior I was desiring.