all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Why deleting overlays before kill-buffer?
@ 2010-06-04  9:38 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-06-04  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

Is there any reason to delete overlays when kill-buffer is called
(like re-builder does)?

* Re: Why deleting overlays before kill-buffer?
@ 2010-06-04 10:28 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-06-04 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Lennart Borgman

On Friday 04 June 2010 11:38:35 Lennart Borgman wrote:

Hi Lennart,

> Is there any reason to delete overlays when kill-buffer is called
> (like re-builder does)?

In the general case, no overlays are deleted when killing a buffer.

But re-builder adds a cleanup function `reb-kill-buffer' to
`kill-buffer-hook' to do that, because killing the re-builder buffer
should remove the overlays it has created in some *other* buffer.

To me, that is quite plausible.  Or do I get something wrong?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Why deleting overlays before kill-buffer?
@ 2010-06-04 11:25   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-06-04 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> On Friday 04 June 2010 11:38:35 Lennart Borgman wrote:
>
> Hi Lennart,
>
>> Is there any reason to delete overlays when kill-buffer is called
>> (like re-builder does)?
>
> In the general case, no overlays are deleted when killing a buffer.
>
> But re-builder adds a cleanup function `reb-kill-buffer' to
> `kill-buffer-hook' to do that, because killing the re-builder buffer
> should remove the overlays it has created in some *other* buffer.

Ah, thanks Tassilo, yes. Of course. I misread the code, it was not
very explicit about the current buffer.