all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs default font
@ 2010-07-04  7:04 bhargava
From: bhargava @ 2010-07-04  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,
I would like to know what is the name of the default font in emacs. I
donot like the default font that comes with the ubuntu package. I used
emacs that I compiled from the source. For some reasons now I'm stuck up
with the emacs installed from the ubuntu repo. I liked the default font
that came with it. So I never cared about the font.  I read some where
about cse-huji-default-font but could not find this using the M-x
command. (describe-variable).

The font I'm talking about is some what similar to the font in this web
page http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/tour/ .

So please let me know what the default font of emacs is how to set it.

Thanks.

* Re: Emacs default font
@ 2010-07-04 17:58 ` Qiang Guo
From: Qiang Guo @ 2010-07-04 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bhargava; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

Isn't it the monospace font, which is the alias of Bitstream
vera sans mono. And the font you're talking about on the GNU
webpage is just the same font, just smaller.

Qiang

* Re: Emacs default font
@ 2010-07-04 18:01 ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-07-04 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bhargava; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

bhargava <bhargava470@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
> I would like to know what is the name of the default font in emacs. I
> donot like the default font that comes with the ubuntu package. I used
> emacs that I compiled from the source. For some reasons now I'm stuck up
> with the emacs installed from the ubuntu repo. I liked the default font
> that came with it. So I never cared about the font.  I read some where
> about cse-huji-default-font but could not find this using the M-x
> command. (describe-variable).
>
> The font I'm talking about is some what similar to the font in this web
> page http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/tour/ .
>
> So please let me know what the default font of emacs is how to set it.

I don't know about what the default font is on different systems, but
this is the line I'm using to configure the default face (I'm also on
Ubuntu).

  (set-face-attribute 'default nil :height 110 :family "DejaVu Sans Mono")

Dan

> Thanks.

* Re: Emacs default font
@ 2010-07-04 18:40   ` bhargava Yammanuru
From: bhargava Yammanuru @ 2010-07-04 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,
Thanks for all the replies,

I, after going through couple of webpages, figured out this by trail using,
M-x describe-face
Family: DejaVu Sans Mono
       Foundry: unknown
         Width: normal
        Height: 121
        Weight: normal
         Slant: normal
    Foreground: black
    Background: white
     Underline: nil
      Overline: nil
Strike-through: nil
Box: nil
       Inverse: nil
       Stipple: nil
          Font: #<font-object -unknown-DejaVu Sans
Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-16-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1>
       Fontset: -unknown-DejaVu Sans
Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-16-*-*-*-m-0-fontset-startup
       Inherit: unspecified (I think by default this is nil)

--
"tron"ix

* Re: Emacs default font
@ 2010-07-05 15:11 ` Steve Revilak