all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs and SELinux contexts
@ 2010-06-07  6:39 Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2010-06-07  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone,

I have noticed something with emacs on GNU/Linux systems. When you edit
something with Emacs, the SELinux  context of the file doesn't stay
preserved. This could be an issue when you edit configuration or policy
files as root. A system setting file usually has a context like this,

system_u:object_r:usr_t:s0

but upon editing with Emacs it changes to

unconfined_u:object_r:usr_t:s0

I don't know how severe this is but maybe its worth looking at?
Specially when this problem is absent for other editors. I tried this
with nano, vim and  mousepad. None of them had this issue. Can this be
filed as a bug? Where would be the appropriate place to file this? The
Emacs bugzilla or the bugzilla for my distribution?

Thanks for any suggestions.

--
Suvayu

[parent not found: <mailman.22.1275892792.30245.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]