Are you using metacity or compiz for your window manager? Metacity ignores raise requests in many versions. I noticed that raise finally works well in stock ubuntu 10.4 with gnome and compiz. Not sure about metacity though. On Jun 27, 2010 3:56 PM, "Dan Davison" wrote: Using gnome on ubuntu, a shell command like emacsclient /some/file switches window focus to the running emacs and visits the file. I'd like to do this without specifying a file to visit, so that I can (in gnome) bind a command to a key that will cause my window manager to simply jump to emacs and show the current buffer. How? Dan