all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can't get auctex to recognize my macros
@ 2010-08-04 16:03 George Nurser
From: George Nurser @ 2010-08-04 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
I'm running Aquamacs 2.1.
I have a directory
/Users/agn/Library/texmf/tex/latex
that contains my personal style files.

In particular /Users/agn/Library/texmf/tex/latex/my
styles/math_abbrev.sty contains some macros to simplify inputting
maths

I was hoping to get AucTeX to recognize these macros so command
completion with M-TAB and C-c C-f C-m works on them.

Section 11.2 of the AucTeX manual (v11.86) seems to explain how to do
this, but I must be missing something.
It suggests I do
M-x TeX-auto-generate

When I do this, it suggests various directories; first
~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bst/ then (after uparrow) it offers individual
style files
~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/my styles/head_bolus.sty
I truncated this to
~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/
and then Emacs created a whole load of .el files (one for each .sty
files) in the directory
/Users/agn/Library/Application Support/Aquamacs Emacs/auctex/auto

So e.g. math_abbrev.el is
(TeX-add-style-hook "math_abbrev"
 (lambda ()
    (TeX-add-symbols
     "ew"
     "half"
     "hhalf"
     "quarter"
     "qquarter"
     "squarter"
     "stwelfth"
     "sthirtysixth"
     "grad"
     "gradh"
     "bgamma")))

So far, very good... However, when I try e.g.
\e M-TAB, ew doesn't appear on the list of completions.

What have I missed?

thanks, George Nurser.

NB
C-h v TeX-macro-private =>
TeX-macro-private is a variable defined in `tex.el'.
Its value is
("/Users/agn/Library/texmf/bibtex/bst/" "/Users/agn/Library/texmf/tex/")

C-h TeX-auto-private =>

TeX-auto-private is a variable defined in `tex.el'.
Its value is
("/Users/agn/Library/Application Support/Aquamacs Emacs/auctex/auto")

* Re: Can't get auctex to recognize my macros
@ 2010-08-04 18:49 ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-08-04 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

George Nurser <gnurser@gmail.com> writes:

> NB
> C-h v TeX-macro-private =>
> TeX-macro-private is a variable defined in `tex.el'.
> Its value is
> ("/Users/agn/Library/texmf/bibtex/bst/" "/Users/agn/Library/texmf/tex/")
>
> C-h TeX-auto-private =>
>
> TeX-auto-private is a variable defined in `tex.el'.
> Its value is
> ("/Users/agn/Library/Application Support/Aquamacs Emacs/auctex/auto")

Check what M-TAB really is bound to with C-h c (C-M i is also
equivalent), maybe something else "hides" it...