all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* window local var?
@ 2010-09-06 11:39 Marc Weber
From: Marc Weber @ 2010-09-06 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi list,

I used Vim in the past heavily - meaning I'm still learning about the
"Emacs" way of doing things. Vimpulse is doing a great job for me :)

I've learned about emacsclient.

However one of the most used actions I run is
- grep
- gnu id utils
- kind of compiler (eg make)

And they all depend on a current directory (most of the time)

So when starting Emacs, can I create a window local var keeping the
directory in mind I started this Emacs window from?

Then I could create custom functions switching current directory before
running grep, make, etc.

If there are no window local vars - Is there a kind of window id (for
both X and terminal) I could use to associate a directory with?

Marc Weber