I think I need to retract this... I just see that I overlooked the fact that I can name a file 'init.el' which should suffice. However, I know I'll be pinging this list again... sorry for the premature ping for help. Matt On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Matthew Pettis wrote: > Hi, > > (Trying to make a big push to convert from UltraEdit to Emacs because I've > just seen too many people too good with editing in Emacs to not try...) > > I'm trying to set a HOME .emacs file for GNU Emacs 23.2 on Windows7 64-bit. > I'm trying to follow the recommendations in section 3.5 at > http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/Installing-Emacs.html . > > Problems I'm having is: > > 1. I can't create files in c:\ (I don't know why, it's my work computer so > maybe there's a restriction)... > 2. I can't make '.emacs' files anywhere because the OS tells me I need a > filename (i.e., I can't have a leading '.' in the filename). > 3. The registry hives mentioned at the link don't seem to exist in the > registry, so I don't know what I can do to set them. > > I'd appreciate any help. > > Thank you, > Matt > -- Seven Deadly Sins (Gandhi): - Wealth without work - Politics without principle - Pleasure without conscience - Commerce without morality - Science without humanity - Worship without sacrifice - Knowledge without character