all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gnus with SSL on Windows 7
@ 2011-03-23  9:24 Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-03-23  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-help

I'm trying to set up Gnus on a Windows 7 system.  I've come a

This is my entire Gnus configuration:

----

(require 'gnus)
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "fripost"
                                  (nnimap-address "imap.fripost.org")
                                  (nnimap-server-port 993)
                                  (nnimap-stream ssl)))

----

I've installed OpenSSL 1.0.0 for Windows and customized the variable
`tls-program' as such:

----

'(tls-program ("C:/openssl-win32/bin/openssl.exe s_client -connect
%h:%p -no_ssl2 -ign_eof"))

----

I have my authentication credentials in ~/.authinfo.

When I do M-x gnus, Emacs connects and displays a few successful
messages in the echo area but then just hangs until I C-g.

This is the content of the buffer named
*nnimap imap.fripost.org 993  *nntpd**:

----

* OK Dovecot ready.^M

----

Then after a while this comes up:

----

* BYE Disconnected for inactivity.^M
 done^M
depth=0 CN = imap.fripost.org^M
verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate^M
verify return:1^M
depth=0 CN = imap.fripost.org^M
verify error:num=27:certificate not trusted^M
verify return:1^M
depth=0 CN = imap.fripost.org^M
verify error:num=21:unable to verify the first certificate^M
verify return:1^M
read:errno=0^M

Process *nnimap* finished

----

Note that the buffer of course doesn't contain the letters "^M", I
merely translated the "C-q C-m" character to avoid any encoding issues
that may or may not occur.

So any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: Gnus with SSL on Windows 7
@ 2011-03-23 10:29 ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-03-23 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-help

2011/3/23 Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com>:
> I'm trying to set up Gnus on a Windows 7 system.  I've come a

I have no idea what I was trying to say here.

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: Gnus with SSL on Windows 7
       [not found] <mailman.4.1300872306.10512.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-03-23 16:25 ` Ted Zlatanov
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7.1300907200.786.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-23 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 10:24:39 +0100 Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> wrote:

DD> I've installed OpenSSL 1.0.0 for Windows and customized the variable
DD> `tls-program' as such:

DD> ----

DD> '(tls-program ("C:/openssl-win32/bin/openssl.exe s_client -connect
DD> %h:%p -no_ssl2 -ign_eof"))

DD> ----

DD> I have my authentication credentials in ~/.authinfo.

DD> When I do M-x gnus, Emacs connects and displays a few successful
DD> messages in the echo area but then just hangs until I C-g.
DD> Note that the buffer of course doesn't contain the letters "^M", I
DD> merely translated the "C-q C-m" character to avoid any encoding issues
DD> that may or may not occur.

DD> So any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

I don't use W32 myself so I don't know how to fix this (but it's a
common issue with the command-line utilities).  This morning I posted a
patch (half of it is from Claudio Bley) on emacs-devel, though, which
enables C-level GnuTLS support for Gnus so none of this is necessary.
It's against the Emacs trunk.  Do you want to try it out before it goes
into the trunk and let me know if it works for you?

Thanks
Ted

* Re: Gnus with SSL on Windows 7
@ 2011-03-23 19:06   ` Deniz Dogan
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7.1300907200.786.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-03-23 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

2011/3/23 Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>:
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 10:24:39 +0100 Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> DD> I've installed OpenSSL 1.0.0 for Windows and customized the variable
> DD> `tls-program' as such:
>
> DD> ----
>
> DD> '(tls-program ("C:/openssl-win32/bin/openssl.exe s_client -connect
> DD> %h:%p -no_ssl2 -ign_eof"))
>
> DD> ----
>
> DD> I have my authentication credentials in ~/.authinfo.
>
> DD> When I do M-x gnus, Emacs connects and displays a few successful
> DD> messages in the echo area but then just hangs until I C-g.
> DD> Note that the buffer of course doesn't contain the letters "^M", I
> DD> merely translated the "C-q C-m" character to avoid any encoding issues
> DD> that may or may not occur.
>
> DD> So any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
>
> I don't use W32 myself so I don't know how to fix this (but it's a
> common issue with the command-line utilities).  This morning I posted a
> patch (half of it is from Claudio Bley) on emacs-devel, though, which
> enables C-level GnuTLS support for Gnus so none of this is necessary.
> It's against the Emacs trunk.  Do you want to try it out before it goes
> into the trunk and let me know if it works for you?

I'd love to try it, but the problem is I never build Emacs from the
sources myself. I simply use Sean Sieger's weekly builds.

If there is some easy way to build Emacs from the sources on a Windows
system (not involving Cygwin, which breaks my brain) I'd love to try
it.

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: Gnus with SSL on Windows 7
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7.1300907200.786.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-03-23 20:37     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-23 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 20:06:17 +0100 Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> wrote:

DD> 2011/3/23 Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>:

>> I don't use W32 myself so I don't know how to fix this (but it's a
>> common issue with the command-line utilities).  This morning I posted a
>> patch (half of it is from Claudio Bley) on emacs-devel, though, which
>> enables C-level GnuTLS support for Gnus so none of this is necessary.
>> It's against the Emacs trunk.  Do you want to try it out before it goes
>> into the trunk and let me know if it works for you?

DD> I'd love to try it, but the problem is I never build Emacs from the
DD> sources myself. I simply use Sean Sieger's weekly builds.

DD> If there is some easy way to build Emacs from the sources on a Windows
DD> system (not involving Cygwin, which breaks my brain) I'd love to try
DD> it.

Sorry, I don't use W32 so I can't help you build it there.  Maybe just
wait for a few days until the GnuTLS patch is in Emacs and then the
weekly builds will have it.  Unfortunately I don't know how to fix your
original CR/LF problem either...

Ted

* Re: Gnus with SSL on Windows 7
@ 2011-03-24  4:00     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]       ` <mailman.6.1300958055.32450.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-03-24  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 20:06:17 +0100
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> If there is some easy way to build Emacs from the sources on a Windows
> system (not involving Cygwin, which breaks my brain) I'd love to try
> it.

See nt/INSTALL in the sources, it explains what tools to install and
how to build.  Once you have the necessary tools, it boils down to
running nt/configure.bat followed by "make".

* Re: Gnus with SSL on Windows 7
@ 2011-03-24  9:11       ` Deniz Dogan
       [not found]       ` <mailman.6.1300958055.32450.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-03-24  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

2011/3/24 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>:
>> From: Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com>
>> Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 20:06:17 +0100
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>>
>> If there is some easy way to build Emacs from the sources on a Windows
>> system (not involving Cygwin, which breaks my brain) I'd love to try
>> it.
>
> See nt/INSTALL in the sources, it explains what tools to install and
> how to build.  Once you have the necessary tools, it boils down to
> running nt/configure.bat followed by "make".

Thanks, I was finally able to figure it out.  The section "For
the impatient" could do with some improvement though, e.g. by
mentioning early on where the user can install cp.exe and other
coreutils.  Maybe I'll write a patch for it some day.

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: Gnus with SSL on Windows 7
@ 2011-03-24 10:16         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-03-24 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 10:11:23 +0100
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Thanks, I was finally able to figure it out.  The section "For
> the impatient" could do with some improvement though, e.g. by
> mentioning early on where the user can install cp.exe and other
> coreutils.

The trick with that section is not to put everything there ;-)
There are no redundant information in nt/INSTALL, so theoretically any
bit could be a stumbling block.

Somehow, people who don't have a working development environment don't
qualify for the right to be in the "impatient" category in my book...

But I will add a sentence about the need to have these, thanks for
mentioning it.

* Re: Gnus with SSL on Windows 7
       [not found]       ` <mailman.6.1300958055.32450.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-03-24 16:55         ` Ted Zlatanov
       [not found]           ` <mailman.7.1301047092.18729.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-24 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 10:11:23 +0100 Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> wrote:

DD> Thanks, I was finally able to figure it out.  The section "For
DD> the impatient" could do with some improvement though, e.g. by
DD> mentioning early on where the user can install cp.exe and other
DD> coreutils.  Maybe I'll write a patch for it some day.

Excellent!  The ChangeLog portion will probably fail (the Bazaar
ChangeLog merge plugin may help, but honestly ChangeLogs are just a
pain) but the rest of the patch should apply cleanly.

With the patch, you *need* to (require 'gnutls) in your .emacs or
.gnus.el before any connections are made.  That's it; all network
connections using SSL or opportunistic TLS should automatically use the
C suppport through proto-stream.el magic.  Set `gnutls-log-level' to 1
or higher to see what's happening in *Messages*, especially the
certificate and hostname validation.

I'd love to know if you notice any unusual behavior on W32.

Sorry about the EAGAIN error repeated thousands of times, I've asked
Claudio to fix it (you can remove it from gnutls.c yourself, of course).

Ted

* Re: Gnus with SSL on Windows 7
@ 2011-03-25  9:57           ` Deniz Dogan
       [not found]           ` <mailman.7.1301047092.18729.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-03-25  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

2011/3/24 Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 10:11:23 +0100 Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> DD> Thanks, I was finally able to figure it out.  The section "For
> DD> the impatient" could do with some improvement though, e.g. by
> DD> mentioning early on where the user can install cp.exe and other
> DD> coreutils.  Maybe I'll write a patch for it some day.
>
> Excellent!  The ChangeLog portion will probably fail (the Bazaar
> ChangeLog merge plugin may help, but honestly ChangeLogs are just a
> pain) but the rest of the patch should apply cleanly.
>
> With the patch, you *need* to (require 'gnutls) in your .emacs or
> .gnus.el before any connections are made.  That's it; all network
> connections using SSL or opportunistic TLS should automatically use the
> C suppport through proto-stream.el magic.  Set `gnutls-log-level' to 1
> or higher to see what's happening in *Messages*, especially the
> certificate and hostname validation.
>
> I'd love to know if you notice any unusual behavior on W32.
>
> Sorry about the EAGAIN error repeated thousands of times, I've asked
> Claudio to fix it (you can remove it from gnutls.c yourself, of course).

I'm having problems with using the latest patch I found from you in
the emacs-devel thread.  The attachment is called callbacks.patch. Is
this the one I should use?

Could you send me a bzr bundle instead?

I don't think there's anythng wrong with your patch as such, but my
patch.exe seems broken:

d:\repos\emacs-trunk>patch < callbacks.patch
patching file configure.in
Assertion failed: hunk, file ../patch-2.5.9-src/patch.c, line 354

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Deniz Dogan

* Re: Gnus with SSL on Windows 7
@ 2011-03-25 10:16             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-03-25 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 10:57:46 +0100
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> I don't think there's anythng wrong with your patch as such, but my
> patch.exe seems broken:
>
> d:\repos\emacs-trunk>patch < callbacks.patch
> patching file configure.in
> Assertion failed: hunk, file ../patch-2.5.9-src/patch.c, line 354

You need to save the patch with Unix EOLs ("C-x RET c unix RET" before
invoking the Emacs command to save or apply the patch), and you need
to invoke patch.exe with the --binary switch.

Here's how I do it on Windows:

  . Mark the patch in the Emacs buffer

  . C-x RET c unix RET M-| patch -d /path/to/emacs -p0 --binary RET

* Re: Gnus with SSL on Windows 7
       [not found]           ` <mailman.7.1301047092.18729.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-03-25 14:56             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-25 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 10:57:46 +0100 Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> wrote:

DD> I'm having problems with using the latest patch I found from you in
DD> the emacs-devel thread.  The attachment is called callbacks.patch. Is
DD> this the one I should use?

Yes.  I put a comment on the attachment saying "revised YYYY-MM-DD" so
grab the latest (03-24 I think).  The latest has logging improvements.

I hope Eli's instructions get you going.  We're close to putting the
patch in trunk, just waiting for Claudio's papers...

Ted