all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Massive uptick in traffic?
       [not found] <AANLkTik__=AsaY2vqyOoZeZr=wnM44fbRhP+no4Qvc85@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-12-09 17:33 ` Eli Zaretskii
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-12-09 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 09:35:11 -0500
>
> Since yesterday at about noon I've noticed a _massive_ uptick in
> traffic on the mailing list.  It all appears legitimate but it's
> strange nonetheless as I've been subscribed for years now and I'm used
> to getting anywhere between 10 and 20 mail messages a day.  Right now
> I seem to be getting anywhere between 10 and 20 messages every 5
> minutes.

Are they from dates very distant in the past, by any chance?

> Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes.

@ 2010-12-09 19:17 ` William Case
From: William Case @ 2010-12-09 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Visher; +Cc: emacs

Hi;

Glad you posted.  I thought I was going crazy.

On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 09:35 -0500, Tim Visher wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Since yesterday at about noon I've noticed a _massive_ uptick in
> traffic on the mailing list.  It all appears legitimate but it's
> strange nonetheless as I've been subscribed for years now and I'm used
> to getting anywhere between 10 and 20 mail messages a day.  Right now
> I seem to be getting anywhere between 10 and 20 messages every 5
> minutes.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this?

I have been getting 30 emacs help group messages or more, every hour or
so.  They started with dates as old as last May and are up to October
now.  I have 349 now in my junk box.  Expunged about 400 yesterday.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 14, Gnome 2.32

@ 2010-12-09 20:06 ` Andrew Suttles
From: Andrew Suttles @ 2010-12-09 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Visher; +Cc: emacs

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Since yesterday at about noon I've noticed a _massive_ uptick in
> traffic on the mailing list.  It all appears legitimate but it's
> strange nonetheless as I've been subscribed for years now and I'm used
> to getting anywhere between 10 and 20 mail messages a day.  Right now
> I seem to be getting anywhere between 10 and 20 messages every 5
> minutes.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this?

YES!

* Re: Massive uptick in traffic?
       [not found] <AANLkTik__=AsaY2vqyOoZeZr=wnM44fbRhP+no4Qvc85@mail.gmail.com>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-12-09 20:59 ` PJ Weisberg
From: PJ Weisberg @ 2010-12-09 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Visher; +Cc: emacs

Yes.  I've also noticed that most of these messages are dated several
months ago.  So far I've just been deleting them, but if it doesn't go
back to normal soon I'll probably just unsubscribe.

-PJ

@ 2010-12-09 22:30   ` Burton Samograd
From: Burton Samograd @ 2010-12-09 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andrew Suttles <andrew.suttles@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> Since yesterday at about noon I've noticed a _massive_ uptick in
>> traffic on the mailing list.  It all appears legitimate but it's
>> strange nonetheless as I've been subscribed for years now and I'm used
>> to getting anywhere between 10 and 20 mail messages a day.  Right now
>> I seem to be getting anywhere between 10 and 20 messages every 5
>> minutes.
>>
>> Has anyone else noticed this?

Check the dates on the messages, some are from quite a while ago.  I
thought it was a gmane hiccup..

--
Burton Samograd

* Re: Massive uptick in traffic?
@ 2010-12-10  0:44   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-12-10  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 09.12.2010 um 18:33 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:

> Are they from dates very distant in the past, by any chance?

Not very, only 2010-05-25.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.

* Re: Massive uptick in traffic?
@ 2010-12-10  8:08   ` Jonathan Groll
From: Jonathan Groll @ 2010-12-10  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 15:06:28 -0500, Andrew Suttles <andrew.suttles@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > Since yesterday at about noon I've noticed a _massive_ uptick in
> > traffic on the mailing list.  It all appears legitimate but it's
> > strange nonetheless as I've been subscribed for years now and I'm used
> > to getting anywhere between 10 and 20 mail messages a day.  Right now
> > I seem to be getting anywhere between 10 and 20 messages every 5
> > minutes.
> >
> > Has anyone else noticed this?
>

> YES!

Yes.

There is another thread entitled "flood" of mails (which may be lost
in the mass of messages).

Basically, it seems that the usenet<->mail gateway has been broken for
some months now and is only now sending out all the old usenet
messages that never made it to the mail subscribers.

Wish a list administrator would post an explanation to the list
though.

Cheers,
Jonathan
--