I haven't understood very well your question, anyway there's already a package manager for emacs, called ELPA, http://tromey.com/elpa/install.html A part from this I've found the best configuration/modularization work done in the emacs-starter-kit packages http://github.com/technomancy/emacs-starter-kit (it uses ELPA extensively). Hope it can help a bit... 2010/8/10 Andrea Crotti > Joel James Adamson writes: > > > Andrea Crotti writes: > > > >> Reading now again the doc looks like it could work exactly like that > >> anyway, but I still have some troubles understanding the submodules... > > > > So...what's your question? > > > > Joel > > Yes sorry there were no real questions, I was just wondering if you had > some good advices in maintaing external packages using different OS. > > I practiced finally with the git submodule and it looks exactly what I > wanted. > So it's very easy to upgrade packages that are already using git, and > they keep the same version that is on the server. > > For the others that don't use git maybe I could > - mirror them on github updating from time to time (there are already > many of these mirrors on github) > - add the mirrors as submodule > > But like this I risk to end up having too many project, but I don't see > any other clean way to accomplish this... > > >