all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Estimating track length
@ 2010-08-23 23:27 tossel
From: tossel @ 2010-08-23 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello, everybody! I need to estimate length of audio file in seconds
from emacs. Is such function already implemented in some package? One
obvious candidate is EMMS, but I couldn't find information about how
to do it. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

* Re: Estimating track length
@ 2010-08-25 18:24 ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2010-08-25 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tossel; +Cc: emacs help

tossel@gmail.com wrote:

> Hello, everybody! I need to estimate length of audio file in seconds
> from emacs. Is such function already implemented in some package? One
> obvious candidate is EMMS, but I couldn't find information about how
> to do it. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

What kind of file? Emacs won't tell you the track length of a file. You
will need to call a separate process which will output the information
you want.

HTH,
--
Ivan Kanis
http://kanis.fr

In this world nothing can be said to be certain,
except death and taxes.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

* Re: Estimating track length
@ 2010-08-25 18:46   ` tossel
       [not found]   ` <mailman.12.1282761983.3946.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: tossel @ 2010-08-25 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis, help-gnu-emacs

2010/8/25 Ivan Kanis <expire-by-2010-08-30@kanis.fr>:
> tossel@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hello, everybody! I need to estimate length of audio file in seconds
>> from emacs. Is such function already implemented in some package? One
>> obvious candidate is EMMS, but I couldn't find information about how
>> to do it. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
>
> What kind of file? Emacs won't tell you the track length of a file. You
> will need to call a separate process which will output the information
> you want.
>
> HTH,
> --
> Ivan Kanis
> http://kanis.fr
>
> In this world nothing can be said to be certain,
> except death and taxes.
>    -- Benjamin Franklin

mp3, ogg, wav, wma etc. - the more formats the better.
It's a good idea to find an external program to do this task, but
could not find any either. And if I'll have to develop it myself, it
can be implemented in elisp as well as in any other language.

* Re: Estimating track length
       [not found]   ` <mailman.12.1282761983.3946.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-08-25 22:44     ` Ilya Zakharevich
From: Ilya Zakharevich @ 2010-08-25 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2010-08-25, tossel@gmail.com <tossel@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello, everybody! I need to estimate length of audio file in seconds
>>> from emacs. Is such function already implemented in some package? One
>>> obvious candidate is EMMS, but I couldn't find information about how
>>> to do it. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

> mp3, ogg, wav, wma etc. - the more formats the better.
> It's a good idea to find an external program to do this task, but
> could not find any either.

My mp3info2 is not yet up to the task (oggs are hard beasts to measure
length; the rest should works); the same goes for exiftool.  The
mplayer incantation in the other message would probably work (although
the rest of that message is not very trustworthy).

You should also try mediainfo.

Hope this helps,
Ilya

* Re: Estimating track length
@ 2010-08-25 23:06       ` Jeff Clough
From: Jeff Clough @ 2010-08-25 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-abuse@ilyaz.org> writes:

>> mp3, ogg, wav, wma etc. - the more formats the better.
>> It's a good idea to find an external program to do this task, but
>> could not find any either.
>
> My mp3info2 is not yet up to the task (oggs are hard beasts to measure
> length; the rest should works); the same goes for exiftool.  The
> mplayer incantation in the other message would probably work (although
> the rest of that message is not very trustworthy).

If you can show that the rest of my message is in any way wrong I'd
*love* to see it.  I'm eager for my own project to easily and sanely
parse track info (title, artist, album, track number and length) from
all of the common formats (mp3 + ID3v1,2,3,4,ogg,etc.).  Until I see an
actual elisp example that contradicts my direct experience, I'm going
with what I've observed.

Jeff

--
web:  http://www.chaosphere.com
Author of Genesys, a Free Universal Paper and Pencil RPG.

* Re: Estimating track length
       [not found]   ` <mailman.12.1282761983.3946.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-08-27 15:48   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-08-27 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ivan Kanis <expire-by-2010-08-30@kanis.fr> writes:

> tossel@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hello, everybody! I need to estimate length of audio file in seconds
>> from emacs. Is such function already implemented in some package? One
>> obvious candidate is EMMS, but I couldn't find information about how
>> to do it. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
>
> What kind of file? Emacs won't tell you the track length of a file. You
> will need to call a separate process which will output the information
> you want.
>
> HTH,

EMMS does show playing time.

Possibly look into something like