all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Useful key sequences for latex in emacs
@ 2011-03-16 10:45 Pedro Costa
From: Pedro Costa @ 2011-03-16 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I'm writing a latex documents, and it's boring to build a table word
by word. Is there any useful shortcuts in emacs for latex that allows
to build tables, to include images quickly? For example, having a key
sequence to build an table automatically in emacs

Thanks

--
Pedro

* Re: Useful key sequences for latex in emacs
@ 2011-03-16 19:20   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-03-16 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Pierre Lorenzon, psdc1978; +Cc: GNU Emacs List

Am 17.03.2011 um 01:12 schrieb Pierre Lorenzon:

> A lot of key sequences will be made available by auctex for inserting
> commands, environements etc ...

And AUCTeX even ask for parameters or input!

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Evolution"            o           __o                     _o _
           °\___o      /0~         -\<,              ^\___ /=\\_/-%
oo~_______ /\ /\______/ \_________O/ O_______________o===>-->O--o____

* Re: Useful key sequences for latex in emacs
@ 2011-03-16 19:23   ` Henri-Paul Indiogine
From: Henri-Paul Indiogine @ 2011-03-16 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Pierre Lorenzon; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>> I'm writing a latex documents, and it's boring to build a table word
>> by word. Is there any useful shortcuts in emacs for latex that allows
>> to build tables, to include images quickly? For example, having a key
>> sequence to build an table automatically in emacs

I use org-mode, included in Emacs, but better to download a recent
version and then export to LaTeX.  Building tables in org-mode is very
easy and then the exporter will create the appropriate LaTeX code
automagically.

Best,
Henri-Paul

--
Henri-Paul Indiogine
Email: hindiogine@gmail.com

* Re: Useful key sequences for latex in emacs
@ 2011-03-16 21:51 ` Steve Revilak
From: Steve Revilak @ 2011-03-16 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>I'm writing a latex documents, and it's boring to build a table word
>by word. Is there any useful shortcuts in emacs for latex that allows
>to build tables, to include images quickly? For example, having a key
>sequence to build an table automatically in emacs

I write a lot latex with emacs (using latex mode).  The key sequence
that I find most helpful is C-c C-e (aka latex-close-block).  C-c C-e
finds the most recent \begin{FOO} and inserts the matching \end{FOO}.

I don't know of any dedicated latex-mode commands for building tables
or stubbing out figure environments.  But I can suggest two
alternatives.

The first alternative is abbrev mode.  You could (say) define an
abbrev that inserts

   \begin{figure}
   \begin{center}
   \includegraphics{}
   \end{center}
   \caption{}\label{}
   \end{figure}

whenever you type "ltxfigure".

For more on abbrevs, see

   M-x info RET
   M-x Info-goto-note RET (Emacs)Abbrevs RET

Alternative two: for tables, I sometimes find that it's easier to
write the table using org-mode, have org-mode convert the table to
latex, and then insert the generated table back into the .tex file.

   M-x org-info

And look for sections on "Tables" and "export".

Steve

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: Useful key sequences for latex in emacs
@ 2011-03-16 22:56     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2011-03-16 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 12:23:01 -0700
Henri-Paul Indiogine <hindiogine@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I'm writing a latex documents, and it's boring to build a table
> >> word by word. Is there any useful shortcuts in emacs for latex
> >> that allows to build tables, to include images quickly? For
> >> example, having a key sequence to build an table automatically in
> >> emacs
>
> I use org-mode, included in Emacs, but better to download a recent
> version and then export to LaTeX.  Building tables in org-mode is very
> easy and then the exporter will create the appropriate LaTeX code
> automagically.

I can second this advice. However if you feel delving into org-mode at
this moment might be a little time consuming for you, you can try only
the org radio tables feature[1]. It is surprisingly simple to use. For
basic table manipulation key bindings look at this link[2]. You will
need to turn on the orgtbl-mode for this to work in latex buffers.

> Best,
> Henri-Paul

Hope this helps you. :)

[1]<http://orgmode.org/manual/Tables-in-arbitrary-syntax.html#Tables-in-arbitrary-syntax>
[2]<http://orgmode.org/manual/Built_002din-table-editor.html#Built_002din-table-editor>
--
Suvayu

* Re: Useful key sequences for latex in emacs
@ 2011-03-17  0:12 ` Pierre Lorenzon
From: Pierre Lorenzon @ 2011-03-17  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I am not sure to completely understand your question. But first
of all are you using auctex ? If not, first try that. A lot of
key sequences will be made available by auctex for inserting
commands, environements etc ... If auctex is not enough for
your purpose please try to explain more in detail what is your
wish !

Bests

Pierre

From: Pedro Costa <psdc1978@gmail.com>