all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Sunrise Commander: Version 5 released
@ 2010-12-22 22:14 José A. Romero L.
       [not found] ` <mailman.2.1293116197.5607.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: José A. Romero L. @ 2010-12-22 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: postmaster

Hello, Emacs Community!

For those who don't know yet, the Sunrise Commander is a powerful and
versatile twin-pane file manager for GNU Emacs built on top of Dired,
inspired by the Midnight Commander and heavily influenced by the OFM
specification (http://www.softpanorama.org/OFM/index.shtml).

Year 2010  brought to the Sunrise Commander a lot of improvements and
a few original new features. Here is a list of the most important and
noteworthy changes made since version 4 (r244) was first published:

NEW FEATURES:

* Added progress feedback for all synchronous copy, clone, rename and
  directory comparison operations  (using the standard Emacs progress
  reporter).

* Created  Tree  View Extension which provides a hierarchical view of
  directories that can be used for fast navigation, as  well  as  for
  several basic operations on files and directories. For more details
  and screenshots see:

      http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Sunrise_Commander#toc8

* Added  Fuzzy  Narrow command (C-c /), which allows to interactively
  refine the contents of the current pane using fuzzy (a.k.a. flex or
  scatter) matching, in a similar way as Text Mate's Command-T works,
  but with some extra features (like using  !  to  prefix  characters
  that should *not* occur after a certain position).

* Added  Sticky Search command (C-c s), which launches an interactive
  search in the current pane and maintains it active while navigating
  from  directory  to directory until a regular file is hit or C-g is
  pressed to interrupt the search.

* Created ELPA repository, which allows to easily install Sunrise and
  any of its extensions using the ELPA package management system. For
  more details see:

    http://joseito.republika.pl/sunrise-commander/

* Added  support for Desktop (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DeskTop)
  in the core Sunrise Commander as well as in all relevant extensions
  --- Allows to save the state of the panes, tabs, etc. between Emacs
  sessions.

* Added  Create  Files command (M-+), which allows to create an empty
  file by giving its name in the current directory, or (when  invoked
  with  a  numerical  prefix) any number of files with names numbered
  according to a provided formatting string, using decimal (%d),octal
  (%o) or hexadecimal (%x) digits.

MAJOR IMPROVEMENTS:

* DOES NOT BREAK TRAMP any more when AVFS support is disabled (thanks
  Haines Brown for reporting this problem and helping fixing it).

* Faster and more reliable "compare panes by contents" function (uses
  md5 digest memoization).

* Improvements in terminal integration:

  - Line mode is preserved across invocations of sr-term (C-c t),

  - Added binding (C-c t) to launch a new terminal directly from
    another one.

  - Added revert buffer of the active pane from the command line,

  - Added panes-resizing operations (min, max, reset) from the
    command line.

  - Terminal buffers are now automatically closed when their
    processes finish.

* Find  can  be  now  limited  to  the selected (marked) items in the
  active pane.

* Locate is now executed in the background, without locking Emacs.

* More  uniform  interface  for  find and locate operations: both are
  asynchronous, can be fired similarly and  aborted  using  the  same
  binding (C-c C-k).

* Traditional commander key bindings (F1...F10, Ins, etc) are enabled
  by default now.  Added new option sr-use-commander-keys that can be
  customized to toggle their use without restarting Emacs.

OTHER CHANGES AND BUGFIXES:

* Fixed handling of iso9660 images and patch files via AVFS.

* The  width of the panes is now correctly maintained when maximizing
  or minimizing their height. It is  also  sticky  across  successive
  invocations of Sunrise.

* Browsing  files inside a text browser (e.g. w3m) after pressing "b"
  in Sunrise works now like a quick view:  it  can  be  scrolled  and
  closed from inside the FM with the usual bindings (C-e, C-y, Space,
  M-Space and C-u C-v)

* Fixed  sr-find-file (C-x C-f) --- works now correctly for all types
  of objects in the filesystem, not just files.

* Fixed refresh of path line in console displays.

* Fixed focus of origin subdirectory when moving up in the filesystem
  using the path line.

* Added separate face settings for TTY displays.

* Bound Space and M-Space to page scrolling in quick view.

* Improved MC-compatible keybindings: added C-F3/F4/F5/F6 for sorting
  and S-F7 for soft-linking.

* When visiting a regular file, the original windows configuration is
  now correctly restored.

* Bound "C-x k" to sr-quit.

CHANGES IN BUTTONS EXTENSION:

* Added  generic  (buffer-local)  handler for commands in the Sunrise
  Buttons extension.

* Added new commands to panel: Clone (K), Search (A) and Fuzzy Narrow
  (C-c /).

* Buttons panel doesn't clobber terminal or quick view anymore.

CHANGES IN LOOP EXTENSION:

* Added  progress  feedback  for  asynchronous copy, clone and rename
  operations.

CHANGES IN MIRROR EXTENSION (released as version 2):

* Added navigation inside and out of mirror areas.

* Added separate face for the pane path when in mirror mode.

CHANGES IN MODELINE EXTENSION:

* Improved  mode  indicators  in  Mode Line extension: instead of one
  unique icon for  everything,  there  are  now  tree  for  different
  (orthogonal) states of the pane. See
  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Sunrise_Commander#toc6 for details.

* The mode line now displays absolute paths always.

CHANGES IN TABS EXTENSION:

* The sr-tabs-remove commands (C-k, M-C-k) can be now prefixed with a
  digit to kill arbitrary tabs in the active or passive pane by their
  relative orders (starting from 1).

* Added new bindings "* C-k" and  "* M-C-k" to wipe off all currently
  displayed tabs either from the active or the passive pane.

* Added new bindings for tab-switching: M-Tab and C-M-Tab.

* Improved  sr-tabs-kill-and-go (C-x k) function -- logically extends
  sr-quit.

* Removed soft dependency on cl-seq.el.

For  more  details  on the Sunrise Commander, a list of all currently
available extensions, and several useful tips and tricks visit:

    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Sunrise_Commander

As usually, enjoy ;-) All contributions, suggestions or comments will
be very welcome.

Cheers, and Happy 2011!
--
José Alfredo Romero L.
escherdragon at gmail.com
"The opposite of war is not peace -- it's creation." (Jonathan Larson)

* Re: Sunrise Commander: Version 5 released
@ 2010-12-23 14:53 ` Oleksandr Gavenko
       [not found] ` <mailman.2.1293116197.5607.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2010-12-23 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 23.12.2010 0:14, José A. Romero L. wrote:
> Hello, Emacs Community!
>
> For those who don't know yet, the Sunrise Commander is a powerful and
> versatile twin-pane file manager for GNU Emacs built on top of Dired,
> inspired by the Midnight Commander and heavily influenced by the OFM
> specification (http://www.softpanorama.org/OFM/index.shtml).
>
> Year 2010  brought to the Sunrise Commander a lot of improvements and
> a few original new features. Here is a list of the most important and
> noteworthy changes made since version 4 (r244) was first published:

Hi! As I understand this list for getting HELP on GNU Emacs.

Some times people post ANNONCE to this list.

I check some info about Emacs news resources:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsNewsgroups

but not found appropriate list.

I assume that news:comp.emacs is right place.

Can any one explain?

Also please tell which NNTP services usually used (which allow publishing)
and where find archive for news:comp.emacs?

@ 2010-12-23 15:06   ` Elena
From: Elena @ 2010-12-23 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 23, 2:53 pm, Oleksandr Gavenko <gave...@bifit.com.ua> wrote:
> On 23.12.2010 0:14, José A. Romero L. wrote:> Hello, Emacs Community!
>
> > For those who don't know yet, the Sunrise Commander is a powerful and
> > versatile twin-pane file manager for GNU Emacs built on top of Dired,
> > inspired by the Midnight Commander and heavily influenced by the OFM
> > specification (http://www.softpanorama.org/OFM/index.shtml).
>
> > Year 2010  brought to the Sunrise Commander a lot of improvements and
> > a few original new features. Here is a list of the most important and
> > noteworthy changes made since version 4 (r244) was first published:
>
> Hi! As I understand this list for getting HELP on GNU Emacs.
>
> Some times people post ANNONCE to this list.
>
> I check some info about Emacs news resources:

> but not found appropriate list.
>
> I assume that news:comp.emacs is right place.
>
> Can any one explain?
>
> Also please tell which NNTP services usually used (which allow publishing)
> and where find archive for news:comp.emacs?

AFAIK, new packages and packages upgrades are expected to be posted on
gnu.emacs.sources.

* RE: Sunrise Commander: Version 5 released
@ 2010-12-23 15:40   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-12-23 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Oleksandr Gavenko', help-gnu-emacs

> Hi! As I understand this list for getting HELP on GNU Emacs.
> Some times people post ANNONCE to this list.
> I check some info about Emacs news resources:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsNewsgroups
> but not found appropriate list.

message there).

Someone else will no doubt let you know about an appropriate news group.

@ 2010-12-23 21:49   ` José A. Romero L.
From: José A. Romero L. @ 2010-12-23 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 23 Gru, 15:53, Oleksandr Gavenko <gave...@bifit.com.ua> wrote:
(...)
> Hi! As I understand this list for getting HELP on GNU Emacs.
(...)

Hello Oleksandr,

Indeed, that is what that "help" thingy in the name of the news group
suggests, isn't it?

So, what could I possibly be looking  for by posting to such a group?
Salvation? Greater Glory? Nah,  I'd rather post to gnu.emacs.save-me,
or comp.emacs.greater-glory if that were the case ;-)

What I'm looking for is (you guessed  it) HELP -- Help in the form of
people trying  out this stuff and  telling me it sucks  big time, and
why is it so, or that they love some of it and why, and what in their
opinion could be done  to make it better. Or maybe  from time to time
some piece of code to replace some part that is poorly written, or to
add some nifty new feature I would never think about by myself.

I started this project with two  goals in mind: to learn Emacs really
well, and to have at my  disposition a file manager that really kicks
ass. IMHO I'm doing well, but  I still haven't reached these goals to
my entire satisfaction, so that's why I'm here giving this stuff away
for free and making noise around: to get help.  Since people do help,
I keep doing it :-)

Maybe you are willing to help too?

Cheers,
--
José A. Romero L.
escherdragon at gmail

* Re: Sunrise Commander: Version 5 released
@ 2010-12-24  1:03     ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2010-12-24  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: José A. Romero L.; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

2010/12/23 José A. Romero L. <escherdragon@gmail.com>:
> What I'm looking for is (you guessed  it) HELP -- Help in the form of
> people trying  out this stuff and  telling me it sucks  big time, and
> why is it so, or that they love some of it and why, and what in their
> opinion could be done  to make it better. Or maybe  from time to time
> some piece of code to replace some part that is poorly written, or to
> add some nifty new feature I would never think about by myself.

I for example wouldn't have found out about this very interesting
project if it weren't for your announcement. :)

--
Suvayu