all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Setting up head of the day columns in the calendar?
@ 2012-08-18  7:23 Csanyi Pal
From: Csanyi Pal @ 2012-08-18  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I have installed on Debian GNU/Linux testing/sid
GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10) of
2012-07-20 on trouble, modified by Debian.

I want to be used the first three instead of two characters of each day
string of head of the day columns in the calendar.

My reason is that that in Hungarian we have Calendar Day Name Array:
Sunday: Vasárnap
Monday: Hétfő
Tuesday: Kedd
Wednesday: Szerda
Thursday: Csütörtök
Friday: Péntek
Saturday: Szombat

and one can see abowe the first two character of
Wednesday: Szerda
and
Saturday: Szombat

are 'Sz' so in Calendar I get:
   Július 2012
Hé Ke Sz Cs Pé Sz Va

but I wish to get
   Július 2012
Hét Ked Sze Csü Pén Szo Vas

The side effect (that is bad for me) is that that both Wednesday: Szerda
and Saturday: Szombat are marked in Calendar with red color, along with
Sunday: Vasárnap.

Can I set up this somehow so I can get a proper display of head of day
columns in the calendar?

--
Regards from Pal

* Re: Setting up head of the day columns in the calendar?
@ 2012-08-18  8:07 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-08-18  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Csanyi Pal; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.08.2012 um 09:23 schrieb Csanyi Pal:

> Can I set up this somehow so I can get a proper display of head of day
> columns in the calendar?

There are two possible places: you can (re-)set the variable calendar-abbrev-length to 3 – the default value. This length is used for abbreviating both day and month names. The second option is to alter the variable calendar-day-abbrev-array. At its end it has a vector of abbreviated day names. "You can customize this variable." By looking up its documentation for example, with C-h v.

Don't forget to adjust your diary file to the new length of abbreviated day and month names!

--
Greetings

  Pete

A child of five could understand this!  Fetch me a child of five.

* Re: Setting up head of the day columns in the calendar?
@ 2012-08-18  8:32   ` Csanyi Pal
From: Csanyi Pal @ 2012-08-18  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Peter,

> Am 18.08.2012 um 09:23 schrieb Csanyi Pal:
>
>> Can I set up this somehow so I can get a proper display of head of
>> day columns in the calendar?
>
> There are two possible places:

> you can (re-)set the variable calendar-abbrev-length to 3 – the
> default value. This length is used for abbreviating both day and month
> names.

It's already setup to 3.

> The second option is to
> alter the variable calendar-day-abbrev-array. At its end it has a
> vector of abbreviated day names. "You can customize this variable." By
> looking up its documentation for example, with C-h v.

The variable calendar-day-abbrev-array has the following value here:
 Calendar Day Abbrev Array:
Sun: Va
Mon: Hé
Tue: Ke
Wed: Sze
Thu: Cs
Fri: Pé
Sat: Szo

So why I get still the following face of the Calendar?

       Július 2012
Hé  Ke  Sz  Cs  Pé  Sz  Va
                         1
 2   3   4   5   6   7   8
 9  10  11  12  13  14  15
16  17  18  19  20  21  22
23  24  25  26  27  28  29
30  31

--

@ 2012-08-18  9:19     ` Csanyi Pal
From: Csanyi Pal @ 2012-08-18  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Peter,
>
> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:
>
>> Am 18.08.2012 um 09:23 schrieb Csanyi Pal:
>>
>>> Can I set up this somehow so I can get a proper display of head of
>>> day columns in the calendar?
>>
>> There are two possible places:
>
>> you can (re-)set the variable calendar-abbrev-length to 3 – the
>> default value. This length is used for abbreviating both day and month
>> names.
>
> It's already setup to 3.
>
>> The second option is to
>> alter the variable calendar-day-abbrev-array. At its end it has a
>> vector of abbreviated day names. "You can customize this variable." By
>> looking up its documentation for example, with C-h v.
>
> The variable calendar-day-abbrev-array has the following value here:
>  Calendar Day Abbrev Array:
> Sun: Va
> Mon: Hé
> Tue: Ke
> Wed: Sze
> Thu: Cs
> Fri: Pé
> Sat: Szo
>
> So why I get still the following face of the Calendar?
>
>        Július 2012
> Hé  Ke  Sz  Cs  Pé  Sz  Va
>                          1
>  2   3   4   5   6   7   8
>  9  10  11  12  13  14  15
> 16  17  18  19  20  21  22
> 23  24  25  26  27  28  29
> 30  31

Because I must to restart Emacs!! :-)

Now I have:

       Július 2012
Hét Ked Sze Csü Pén Szo Vas
                         1
 2   3   4   5   6   7   8
 9  10  11  12  13  14  15
16  17  18  19  20  21  22
23  24  25  26  27  28  29
30  31

Grait!!

--

@ 2012-08-18 10:03       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-08-18 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Csanyi Pal; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.08.2012 um 11:19 schrieb Csanyi Pal:

> Because I must to restart Emacs!! :-)

Or quit and start calendar.

--
Greetings

  Pete

$ sumascii BILL GATES
  B   I   L   L   G   A   T   E   S
 66+ 73+ 76+ 76+ 71+ 65+ 84+ 69+ 83 = 663

 and add 3 because he's Bill Gates the third.