all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Weird "Symbol's function definition is void: ..."
@ 2017-11-23  2:11 Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2017-11-23  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have installed ivy and imenu-list from the package system and added the following in my .emacs.el

(ivy-mode 1)

(imenu-list-minor-mode)

When I start emacs, I get the error message that the definitions are void, but then I enter .emacs.el and evaluate the two lines and get a proper evaluation (both return t)

How can I get the expected behavior of having Emacs evaluate both lines as t and proceed with the launch?

Jean-Christophe Helary
@brandelune http://mac4translators.blogspot.com

* Re: Weird "Symbol's function definition is void: ..."
@ 2017-11-23  3:01 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2017-11-23  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com> writes:

> I have installed ivy and imenu-list from the package system and added
> the following in my .emacs.el
>
> (ivy-mode 1)

> (imenu-list-minor-mode)
>
> When I start emacs, I get the error message that the definitions are
> void, but then I enter .emacs.el and evaluate the two lines and get a
> proper evaluation (both return t)

Do you (package-initialize) in your init file, and do you do it before
these failing calls?

Michael.

* Re: Weird "Symbol's function definition is void: ..."
@ 2017-11-23  6:19   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2017-11-23  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you Michael,

It looks like (package-initialize) is after the 2 lines in my .emacs.el. By moving them below it I have solved the issue.

Jean-Christophe