all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Building 24.3 Problem
@ 2014-02-21 14:09 Walter Esling
From: Walter Esling @ 2014-02-21 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm building 24.3 on Oracle Linux for personal use (I have no root access).
The build completed without error and emacs runs, but it is unable to save
modified buffers. The message comes up "Saving file ...", but the file is
never saved and buffer is left modified.
Any ideas on where I may have gone wrong in the build process?

thanks,

-wte

* Re: Building 24.3 Problem
@ 2014-02-21 18:08 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2014-02-21 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 21.02.2014 15:09, schrieb Walter Esling:
> Hello,
>
> I'm building 24.3 on Oracle Linux for personal use (I have no root access).
> The build completed without error and emacs runs, but it is unable to save
> modified buffers. The message comes up "Saving file ...", but the file is
> never saved and buffer is left modified.
> Any ideas on where I may have gone wrong in the build process?
>
> thanks,
>
> -wte

Sounds like a bug.

Maybe try edebug at basic-save-buffer

Would it expect following
run-hook-with-args-until-success

* Re: Building 24.3 Problem
@ 2014-02-21 18:22 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-02-21 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Walter Esling; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Walter Esling wrote:

> The build completed without error and emacs runs, but it is unable to save
> modified buffers. The message comes up "Saving file ...", but the file is
> never saved and buffer is left modified.

Does this problem still happen if you start emacs as "emacs -Q"?

If not, crystal ball says that you are adding something to
write-file-functions, or some other hook, in your .emacs, which returns
nil:

C-h v write-file-functions

   List of functions to be called before writing out a buffer to a file.
   If one of them returns non-nil, the file is considered already written[...]

* Re: Building 24.3 Problem
@ 2014-02-21 18:23   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-02-21 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Glenn Morris wrote:

> write-file-functions, or some other hook, in your .emacs, which returns
> nil:

Sorry, I meant "returns non-nil".

* Re: Building 24.3 Problem
@ 2014-02-21 20:03     ` walter esling
From: walter esling @ 2014-02-21 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for all the suggestions. Files can be saved when I run with "-Q". So I'll look into my .emacs.

Thanks again for all your help.

-wte