all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Which emacs 23 should I use ?
@ 2009-01-24  9:16 Francis Moreau
       [not found] ` <mailman.5632.1232791660.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-01-24  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello

I just want to give emacs 23 a try.

I download the source code from the CVS repo. After building the beast
I get:

        $ emacs --version
	GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1
        [...]

So now I saw some people using emacs 23.1 so I'm wondering which
version should I use...

The list of the branches on CVS is quite confusing and I don't see
this 23.1 version.

Could anyone tell me which version I should use knowing that I'd like
something stable ?

Thanks
--
Francis

* Re: Which emacs 23 should I use ?
@ 2009-01-24 10:07 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.5632.1232791660.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-01-24 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francis Moreau; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 24.01.2009 um 10:16 schrieb Francis Moreau:

> So now I saw some people using emacs 23.1

They don't! Some documentation strings are prepared for a first
release which will have the number 23.1. Usual chaos of development ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

      _o    o         o   o
    _<<     \\_/\_,   \\_ \\_/\_,
   (*)/(*) (*)   (*) (*) `-    (*)

@ 2009-01-24 10:14   ` Francis Moreau
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5635.1232794245.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-01-24 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Peter,

> Am 24.01.2009 um 10:16 schrieb Francis Moreau:
>
>> So now I saw some people using emacs 23.1
>
> They don't! Some documentation strings are prepared for a first
> release which will have the number 23.1. Usual chaos of development

So is the version from CVS repo I pulled fine ?

I'm suprised to not have used any tags...

Thanks
--
Francis

"Evolution"            o           __o                     _o _
          �\___o      /0~         -\<,              ^\___ /=\\_/-%
oo~_______ /\ /\______/ \_________O/ O_______________o===>-->O--o____

* Re: Which emacs 23 should I use ?
@ 2009-01-24 10:50     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5635.1232794245.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-01-24 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francis Moreau; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 24.01.2009 um 11:14 schrieb Francis Moreau:

> So is the version from CVS repo I pulled fine ?

Yes. And you can keep up-to-date with M-x cvs-up RET RET + make
bootstrap + sudo make install – all from emacs directory.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Think of XML as Lisp for COBOL programmers.
				- Tony-A (some guy on /.)

@ 2009-01-24 12:51       ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-01-24 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 24.01.2009 um 11:14 schrieb Francis Moreau:
>
>> So is the version from CVS repo I pulled fine ?
>
> Yes. And you can keep up-to-date with M-x cvs-up RET RET + make
> bootstrap + sudo make install – all from emacs directory.

Thanks !
--
Francis