I agree with most of the points you make and I’d love for Emacs to adopt git, but judging from the last discussion on the topic a few months ago (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-03/msg00776.html), I don’t think that’s going to happen any time soon. Btw, Richard said then he wanted to give bzr’s maintainer a reasonable amount of time to fix some bugs (or so I recall). If this hasn’t happened - there’s one more argument in favour of using git. Relying on a poorly maintained project is generally worse than relying on a unpopular project. -- Cheers, Bozhidar On Thursday, January 2, 2014 at 11:53 AM, Eric S. Raymond wrote: > I am posting this because I think it is my duty as a topic expert in > version-control systems and the surrounding tools to do so, not because > I have any desire to be in the argument that is certain to ensue. > > The bzr version control system is dying; by most measures it is > already moribund. The dev list has flatlined, most of Canonical's > in-house projects have abandoned bzr for git, and one of its senior > developers has written a remarkably candid assessment of why bzr > failed: > > http://www.stationary-traveller.eu/pages/bzr-a-retrospective.html > > I urge all Emacs developers to read this, then sleep on it, then read > it again - not least because I think Emacs development has fallen into > some of the same traps the author decribes. But *that* is a discussion for > another day; the conversation we need to have now is about escaping > the gravitational pull of bzr's failure. > > In theory, that failure need not affect us at all providing the bzr > codebase is sufficently mature to continue in use as a production > tool. I judge that, in fact, it *is* sufficiently mature. > > In practice, I judge that sticking with bzr would have social and > signaling effects damaging to Emacs's prospects. Sticking to a > moribund version-control system will compound and exacerbate the > project's difficulty in attracting new talent. > > The uncomfortable truth is that many younger hackers already think > Emacs is a dinosaur - difficult, bulky, armor-plated, and generally > stuck in the last century. If we're going to fight off that image, we > cannot afford to make or adhere to choices that further cast the > project as crusty, insular, and backward-looking. > > As of right about now, continuing with bzr is such a choice. We'll > lose potential recruits, not merely because bzr has a learning cost > but because crusty, insular, etc. The opportunity cost of not getting > out will only rise with time. > > git won the mindshare war. I regret this - I would have preferred > Mercurial, but it too is not looking real healthy these days. I have > made my peace with git's victory and switched. I urge the Emacs > project to do likewise. > > I can be technical lead on the migration - as the author of > reposurgeon I have the skills and experience for that (I recently > moved GNU troff from CVS to git). But the project leadership needs > to make the go decision first. > -- > Eric S. Raymond > > No one who's seen it in action can say the phrase "government help" without > either laughing or crying. > >