all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* hebrew in emacs
@ 2007-11-02 23:16 Eddy-14
From: Eddy-14 @ 2007-11-02 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

hi!
I use emacs22 in linux (ubuntu gutsy).
I have configured my keyboard to be able to write utf-8 hebrew, which works
fine in gedit for example. but it is not the case in emacs.
i made the changes proposed on various forums:
in .emacs, I added:
    (set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
    (set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8)
    (set-language-environment 'UTF-8)
(custom-set-variables
[etc]
 '(current-language-environment "UTF-8")
[etc]
 )
I created .Xdefaults:
emacs*.font: utf-8

and I installed the xfonts-intl-european package

still, in emacs, I get rectangles instead of hebrew letters.

* Re: hebrew in emacs
@ 2007-11-03 11:36 ` Oleg Katsitadze
From: Oleg Katsitadze @ 2007-11-03 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 04:16:17PM -0700, Eddy-14 wrote:
>     (set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
>     (set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8)
>     (set-language-environment 'UTF-8)

For me, just the following seems to work (only I use Russian instead
of Hebrew):

  (set-language-environment 'Hebrew)
  (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

HTH,
Oleg

* Re: hebrew in emacs
@ 2007-11-03 11:47 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-11-03 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eddy-14; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 03.11.2007 um 00:16 schrieb Eddy-14:

> I created .Xdefaults:
> emacs*.font: utf-8

Is that ``utf-8´´ the name of a fontset or a font alias? Usually an
XFD (X11 Font Description) should be placed here, and then these are
using the ISO 10646-1 encoding.

--
Greetings

   Pete
                       ~  o
                        ~_\\_/\
                       ~  O   O

* Re: hebrew in emacs
@ 2007-11-07 11:24   ` Eddy-14
From: Eddy-14 @ 2007-11-07 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Peter Dyballa wrote:

>> I created .Xdefaults:
>> emacs*.font: utf-8
> Is that ``utf-8´´ the name of a fontset or a font alias? Usually an
> XFD (X11 Font Description) should be placed here, and then these are
> using the ISO 10646-1 encoding.

OK, I had not understood correctly what I had read before. so I need to find
a suitable font.
the X11 fonts I tried are difficult to read in hebrew, they don't go left to
right, and they put the vowels after the consonants (instead of under or
above). so I need to find another one.
do you know a mean to do that? until now, I have tried using xfd, but that
seems very long, if there's another way, I would be thankful to know it!
or, better: I use for my other applications a great font, but it is not a
X11 font. is there a way to "import" it to emacs?

* Re: hebrew in emacs
@ 2007-11-07 14:33     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-11-07 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eddy-14; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.11.2007 um 12:24 schrieb Eddy-14:

> the X11 fonts I tried are difficult to read in hebrew, they don't
> go left to
> right, and they put the vowels after the consonants (instead of
> under or
> above).

I am quite sure that GNU Emacs can't do that. It can work when the
application is reading the tables inside a font file that tell the
application to create these ligatures or combinations from the
glyphs. GNU Emacs is not such an application, even if Unicode Emacs
23.0.60 can make use of OT fonts via libotf.

> I have tried using xfd

You can also use xfontsel and give it a Hebrew text to display ...
via an X resource, most probably via XTerm*sampleTextUCS. Restricting
the encoding and the spacing you'll have just a few choices.

> or, better: I use for my other applications a great font, but it is
> not a
> X11 font. is there a way to "import" it to emacs?

Convert it to TTF or some PostScript fonts (for the glyph ranges
each) and then integrate them into X11. The xset utility tells you
where it searches for fonts. After putting the fonts into such a path
component you'll need to run mkfontdir and mkfontscale (all with root
privileges) to make X11 see them. A final 'xset fp rehash' will make
them available to all X clients that have been launched afterwards ...

Did you invoke C-h H to see the HELLO file? When you're able to
create a fonts or fontsets list with all your system's fonts as pop-
up menu for GNU Emacs, you can simply walk through all these entries
and see how the HELLO file looks with each ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.