all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Freenet.DE>
To: 6357@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#6357: acknowledged by developer (close 6357)
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 14:21:36 +0200	[thread overview]

Sorry! I was too fast!

Actually it's not the Safari update and reboot, but the font I used!
Or the fonts management system in Mac OS X – see below!

Since I can't really work with NS Emacs.app because copy&paste does
not work at all, I decided to try to find all available mono-spaced
fonts and see how they look (the look is independent from whether I
can read or not). For this I did not try the "original" font again,
but a new one as first test instance. Since I then walked through all
the fonts I came again to

	-apple-Latin_Modern_Mono_Light-medium-normal-normal-*-9-*-*-*-m-0-
iso10646-1

(It has an accompanying condensed variant in another font family, -
apple-Latin_Modern_Mono_Light_Cond-medium-normal-condensed-*-9-*-*-*-
m-0-iso10646-1, which works well – besides the fact that it's not
useful as an Emacs font. Its regular variant -apple-Latin_Modern_Mono-
medium-normal-normal-*-9-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1, again in a different
font family, works well as well, despite the fact that Font Book marks
faultily one member as a duplicate.) Linotype FontExplorer X (version
1.2.3) and Apple's Font Book (version 2.1) characterise this "faulty"
font as:

	PostScript name	LMMonoLt10-Regular
	Full name	LMMonoLt10-Regular
	Family		Latin Modern Mono Light
	Style		10 Regular
	Kind		OpenType PostScript
	Language	Albanian, Basque, Catalan, Cornish, Croatian, Czech, Danish,
Dutch, English, Esperanto, Estonian, Faroese, Finnish, French,
Galician, German, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Irish, Italian,
Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Maltese, Manx, Norwegian Bokmål, Norwegian
Nynorsk, Oromo, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian,
Somali, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Turkish, Vietnamese, Welsh
	Version	Version 2.004;PS 2.004;hotconv 1.0.49;makeotf.lib2.0.14853
	Location	/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/lm/
lmmonolt10-regular.otf
	Unique name	2.004;UKWN;LMMonoLt10-Regular
	Copyright	Copyright 2003, 2009 B. Jackowski and J. M. Nowacki (on
behalf of TeX users groups). This work is released under the GUST Font
License --  see http://tug.org/fonts/licenses/GUST-FONT-LICENSE.txt
for details.

	784 glyphs

Apple's Font Book annotates *faultily* the Oblique variant as being a
duplicate. This circumstance does cause errors in XeTeX typesetting,
one stage using font properties from one member, the other stage using
font properties from another member. Cleaning the dirty font caches
involves a reboot following. I'd like to wait for this action a few
weeks, until the end of month or arrival of a new security update...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Cabbage, n. A familiar kitchen-garden vegetable about as large and
wise as a man's head.