all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* imenu / speedbar and C++
@ 2004-10-01  2:36 Jay Cotton
From: Jay Cotton @ 2004-10-01  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been enjoying the emacs imenu / speedbar features for coding Java
and Ruby, but at the moment I'm working on a C++ project and now I'm
having trouble getting imenu to recognize all the functions in the
file. It seems to only recognize the class definition and the "main"
function - which I guess makes sense if it follows a convention of only
noticing functions that are delimited at the left margin.

However, in my C++ file, all the interesting stuff happens within the
class, and the functions therein are all indented a few spaces. Is
there a way to broaden imenu's tag filter to allow for these functions
to be captured?

Also, I'm confused about why imenu and speedbar work so well with Java
and Ruby, since they have functions that are indented similarly to C++.

Thanks for any advice!

Jay

* Re: imenu / speedbar and C++
       [not found] <mailman.623.1096598583.2017.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-10-01 16:05 ` Eric Ludlam
       [not found]   ` <mailman.760.1096657777.2017.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric Ludlam @ 2004-10-01 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> Jay Cotton <jay@fleeingrabbit.com> seems to think that:
>I've been enjoying the emacs imenu / speedbar features for coding Java
>and Ruby, but at the moment I'm working on a C++ project and now I'm
>having trouble getting imenu to recognize all the functions in the
>file. It seems to only recognize the class definition and the "main"
>function - which I guess makes sense if it follows a convention of
>only noticing functions that are delimited at the left margin.
>
>However, in my C++ file, all the interesting stuff happens within the
>class, and the functions therein are all indented a few spaces. Is
>there a way to broaden imenu's tag filter to allow for these functions
>to be captured?

Hi,

  The CEDET project has goodies to improve this situation.  See
http://cedet.sf.net

  I think ebrowse (which is part of Emacs 21) does something similar.

Eric

--
Eric Ludlam                     The MathWorks x 7556 eludlam@mathworks.com
http://www.siege-engine.com                          http://www.mathworks.com

* Re: imenu / speedbar and C++
@ 2004-10-01 19:02   ` Jay Cotton
       [not found]   ` <mailman.760.1096657777.2017.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jay Cotton @ 2004-10-01 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 1, 2004, at 12:05 PM, Eric Ludlam wrote:

>> I've been enjoying the emacs imenu / speedbar features for coding Java
>> and Ruby, but at the moment I'm working on a C++ project and now I'm
>> having trouble getting imenu to recognize all the functions in the
>> file. It seems to only recognize the class definition and the "main"
>> function - which I guess makes sense if it follows a convention of
>> only noticing functions that are delimited at the left margin.
>>
>> However, in my C++ file, all the interesting stuff happens within the
>> class, and the functions therein are all indented a few spaces. Is
>> there a way to broaden imenu's tag filter to allow for these functions
>> to be captured?
>
> Hi,
>
>   The CEDET project has goodies to improve this situation.  See
> http://cedet.sf.net
>
>   I think ebrowse (which is part of Emacs 21) does something similar.

Wow, thanks - a lot going on at CEDET. From what I can tell, speedbar
was originally developed by CEDET, but the problem is that Emacs 21.3
doesn't ship with the latest speedbar (actually, I gather it's more
complicated than that, with lots of dependencies such as the 'semantic'
project, also part of CEDEC).

Anyway, I grabbed the latest beta version (cedet-1.0beta3b) and
installed it and now I'm getting a much better speedbar experience (in
C++ at least).

Lots to learn.

* Re: imenu / speedbar and C++
       [not found]   ` <mailman.760.1096657777.2017.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-10-02  8:07     ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2004-10-02  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Jay Cotton wrote:

> >> I've been enjoying the emacs imenu / speedbar features for coding Java
> >> and Ruby, but at the moment I'm working on a C++ project and now I'm
> >> having trouble getting imenu to recognize all the functions in the
> >> file. It seems to only recognize the class definition and the "main"
> >> function - which I guess makes sense if it follows a convention of
> >> only noticing functions that are delimited at the left margin.
> >>
> >> However, in my C++ file, all the interesting stuff happens within the
> >> class, and the functions therein are all indented a few spaces. Is
> >> there a way to broaden imenu's tag filter to allow for these functions
> >> to be captured?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >   The CEDET project has goodies to improve this situation.  See
> > http://cedet.sf.net
> >
> >   I think ebrowse (which is part of Emacs 21) does something similar.
>
>  Wow, thanks - a lot going on at CEDET. From what I can tell, speedbar
>  was originally developed by CEDET, but the problem is that Emacs 21.3
>  doesn't ship with the latest speedbar (actually, I gather it's more
>  complicated than that, with lots of dependencies such as the
>  'semantic' project, also part of CEDEC).
>
>  Anyway, I grabbed the latest beta version (cedet-1.0beta3b) and
>  installed it and now I'm getting a much better speedbar experience (in
>  C++ at least).
>
>  Lots to learn.

Maybe you want also "learn" ECB - the Emacs Code browser http://ecb.sf.net .
Some people like it a lot ;-) It uses heavily CEDET................

Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de