all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Modifier state?
@ 2009-02-13 20:18 David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2009-02-13 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

Do we have a way to detect the modifier state from the Lisp level, or
bind commands to modifier state changes?

I'd like to run a command whenever the user presses and releases the
Meta (not ESC) key.  This would be on non-TTY sessions.

A lot of applications show additional info when you press Alt/Option
(which is Meta for me); they even update the menus with alternative
functions.  The user can even view a menu, press and hold Alt/Option
and see the menu items change.

Thanks
- David

* RE: Modifier state?
@ 2009-02-13 20:25 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-02-13 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'David Reitter', 'Emacs-Devel devel'

> Do we have a way to detect the modifier state from the Lisp
> level, or bind commands to modifier state changes?
>
> I'd like to run a command whenever the user presses and releases the
> Meta (not ESC) key.  This would be on non-TTY sessions.
>
> A lot of applications show additional info when you press Alt/Option
> (which is Meta for me); they even update the menus with alternative
> functions.  The user can even view a menu, press and hold Alt/Option
> and see the menu items change.

Someone else will perhaps correct this or provide more up-to-date info, but you
might take a look at function `event-modifiers'.

See the Elisp manual, nodes Keyboard Events and Classifying Events.

* Re: Modifier state?
@ 2009-02-14  1:43 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-02-14  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

> Do we have a way to detect the modifier state from the Lisp level, or bind
> commands to modifier state changes?

No.

I did some simple experiments with it, in order to get events like
<control> and <down-control> (which actually were <down-control> and
<C-control> because when the release event is received, the modifier
state is not yet cleared).  I did get it to work OK without too much
trouble (mostly I had to add some function-key-map entries to drop those
events when not bound, and I had to rework C-q so that it waits for
a "real" key press rather than stopping at the <down-control>), but
haven't investigated much further.

* Re: Modifier state?
@ 2009-02-14 14:34   ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2009-02-14 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw