all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to compile Emacs on Mac OS X with extra libs from MacPorts
@ 2009-03-21  3:20 an0
From: an0 @ 2009-03-21  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've been using Emacs 23 cvs on Mac OS X, but never succeeded in
compiling it with extra libraries such as jpeg and png which are
installed via MacPorts(MacPorts itself is installed under /opt/
local/).

Here is how I configure Emacs before compiling:
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig/ CPPFLAGS+='-I/opt/local/
include' LDFLAGS+='-L/opt/local/lib' ./configure --with-ns --with-jpeg
--with-png

And here is the summary of configure output:
What operating system and machine description files should Emacs use?
        `s/darwin.h' and `m/intel386.h'
  What compiler should emacs be built with?               gcc -I/opt/
local/include
  Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             no
    (The GNU allocators don't work with this system configuration.)
  Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    no
  Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
  What window system should Emacs use?                    nextstep
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          none
  Where do we find X Windows header files?                /usr/X11/
include
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   /usr/X11/lib
  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  no
  Does Emacs use a gif library?                           no
  Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2?                                no
  Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -ldbus?                                  no
  Does Emacs use -lfreetype?                              no
  Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt?                              no
  Does Emacs use -lotf?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   no
  Does Emacs use toolkit scroll bars?                     yes

Have anyone made it on Mac OS X with MacPorts? Any hints are
appreciated.

* Re: How to compile Emacs on Mac OS X with extra libs from MacPorts
@ 2009-03-21  9:34 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-21  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: an0; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 21.03.2009 um 04:20 schrieb an0:

> Have anyone made it on Mac OS X with MacPorts?

It's always useful to invoke

	./configure --help

One big bug is that the configure script has hardcoded /sw (Fink)
related paths. You could substitute that with /opt ...

I am using:

	env PATH=/opt/local/bin:$PATH CPPFLAGS="" ./configure --without-
sound --without-pop --with-dbus --with-libotf --with-xpm --with-jpeg
--with-tiff --with-gif --with-png --x-includes=/opt/local/include --x-
libraries=/opt/local/lib --enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application\
Support/Emacs/calendar23:/Library/Application\ Support/Emacs
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/
usr/lib/pkgconfig CFLAGS="-Wno-pointer-sign -H -pipe -fPIC -mcpu=7450
-mtune=7450 -fast -mpim-altivec -ftree-vectorize -foptimize-register-
move -freorder-blocks -freorder-blocks-and-partition -fthread-jumps -
fpeephole -fno-crossjumping" LDFLAGS="-dead_strip -multiply_defined
suppress -L/opt/local/lib"

The important things are: not using <variable>+ (this does not seem
to work, I've seen this fail in a handful of situations) and
particularly:

	 --x-includes=/opt/local/include --x-libraries=/opt/local/lib

(the many --with-<graphics> are probably superfluous, CPPFLAGS=""
cancels my Fink based environment) I am not sure whether the final -L/
opt/local/lib is necessary. I am testing (on PPC, Tiger 10.4.11)
since a few weeks and could not check yet all possible variations ...
(MacPorts offers for Tiger an X11R7.3 based X server, quartz-wm, and
libraries)

To build Emacs.app, the native Aqua client, I am using:

	env PATH=/opt/local/bin:$PATH ./configure --without-sound --without-
pop --with-dbus --with-libotf --with-ns --disable-ns-self-contained --
x-includes=/opt/local/include --x-libraries=/opt/local/lib --enable-
locallisppath=/Library/Application\ Support/Emacs/calendar23:/Library/
Application\ Support/Emacs PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig:/
usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig CFLAGS="-Wno-pointer-sign -
H -pipe -fPIC -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -fast -mpim-altivec -ftree-
vectorize -foptimize-register-move -freorder-blocks -freorder-blocks-
and-partition -fthread-jumps -fpeephole -fno-crossjumping" LDFLAGS="-
dead_strip -multiply_defined suppress -L/opt/local/lib"

And don't forget to run a final 'sudo make install'! Otherwise
Emacs.app won't launch.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Bake pizza not war!

* Re: How to compile Emacs on Mac OS X with extra libs from MacPorts
@ 2009-03-21  9:56   ` an00na
From: an00na @ 2009-03-21  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Peter,
Thank you, but it does not work with `--with-ns'.

On Mar 21, 2009, at 5:34 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 21.03.2009 um 04:20 schrieb an0:
>
>> Have anyone made it on Mac OS X with MacPorts?
>
> It's always useful to invoke
>
> 	./configure --help
>
> One big bug is that the configure script has hardcoded /sw (Fink)
> related paths. You could substitute that with /opt ...
>
> I am using:
>
> 	env PATH=/opt/local/bin:$PATH CPPFLAGS="" ./configure --without-
> sound --without-pop --with-dbus --with-libotf --with-xpm --with-jpeg
> --with-tiff --with-gif --with-png --x-includes=/opt/local/include --
> x-libraries=/opt/local/lib --enable-locallisppath=/Library/
> Application\ Support/Emacs/calendar23:/Library/Application\ Support/
> Emacs PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/
> pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig CFLAGS="-Wno-pointer-sign -H -pipe -
> fPIC -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -fast -mpim-altivec -ftree-vectorize -
> foptimize-register-move -freorder-blocks -freorder-blocks-and-
> partition -fthread-jumps -fpeephole -fno-crossjumping" LDFLAGS="-
> dead_strip -multiply_defined suppress -L/opt/local/lib"
>
> The important things are: not using <variable>+ (this does not seem
> to work, I've seen this fail in a handful of situations) and
> particularly:
>
> 	 --x-includes=/opt/local/include --x-libraries=/opt/local/lib
>
> (the many --with-<graphics> are probably superfluous, CPPFLAGS=""
> cancels my Fink based environment) I am not sure whether the final -
> L/opt/local/lib is necessary. I am testing (on PPC, Tiger 10.4.11)
> since a few weeks and could not check yet all possible
> variations ... (MacPorts offers for Tiger an X11R7.3 based X server,
> quartz-wm, and libraries)
>

> To build Emacs.app, the native Aqua client, I am using:
>
> 	env PATH=/opt/local/bin:$PATH ./configure --without-sound --without-
> pop --with-dbus --with-libotf --with-ns --disable-ns-self-contained
> --x-includes=/opt/local/include --x-libraries=/opt/local/lib --
> enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application\ Support/Emacs/calendar23:/
> Library/Application\ Support/Emacs PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/local/lib/
> pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig CFLAGS="-Wno-
> pointer-sign -H -pipe -fPIC -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -fast -mpim-
> altivec -ftree-vectorize -foptimize-register-move -freorder-blocks -
> freorder-blocks-and-partition -fthread-jumps -fpeephole -fno-
> crossjumping" LDFLAGS="-dead_strip -multiply_defined suppress -L/opt/
> local/lib"
>

> And don't forget to run a final 'sudo make install'! Otherwise
> Emacs.app won't launch.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>  Pete
>
> Bake pizza not war!

Welcome to drink some Cocoa, play with my Python pet,  and sing Lisp
songs, together with a nut, @ http://an00na.blogspot.com/.

* Re: How to compile Emacs on Mac OS X with extra libs from MacPorts
@ 2009-03-21 10:13 ` an00na
From: an00na @ 2009-03-21 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: an0; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I'm an idiot! The Emacs that I've so compiled supports jpeg and png
out of box, even though the configure complaints that Emacs is not
using -ljpeg or -lpng. However, I'm not clear what's going on behind
the scene, or what are the conditions of other libs.
On Mar 21, 2009, at 11:20 AM, an0 wrote:

> I've been using Emacs 23 cvs on Mac OS X, but never succeeded in
> compiling it with extra libraries such as jpeg and png which are
> installed via MacPorts(MacPorts itself is installed under /opt/
> local/).
>
> Here is how I configure Emacs before compiling:
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig/ CPPFLAGS+='-I/opt/local/
> include' LDFLAGS+='-L/opt/local/lib' ./configure --with-ns --with-jpeg
> --with-png
>
> And here is the summary of configure output:
> What operating system and machine description files should Emacs use?
>        `s/darwin.h' and `m/intel386.h'
>  What compiler should emacs be built with?               gcc -I/opt/
> local/include
>  Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             no
>    (The GNU allocators don't work with this system configuration.)
>  Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    no
>  Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
>  What window system should Emacs use?                    nextstep
>  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          none
>  Where do we find X Windows header files?                /usr/X11/
> include
>  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   /usr/X11/lib
>  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
>  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   no
>  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
>  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  no
>  Does Emacs use a gif library?                           no
>  Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   no
>  Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2?                                no
>  Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                   no
>  Does Emacs use -ldbus?                                  no
>  Does Emacs use -lfreetype?                              no
>  Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt?                              no
>  Does Emacs use -lotf?                                   no
>  Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   no
>  Does Emacs use toolkit scroll bars?                     yes
>
> Have anyone made it on Mac OS X with MacPorts? Any hints are
> appreciated.

A ghost writing code with soul @ http://an00na.blogspot.com/.

* Re: How to compile Emacs on Mac OS X with extra libs from MacPorts
@ 2009-03-21 10:41   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-21 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: an00na; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 21.03.2009 um 11:13 schrieb an00na:

> The Emacs that I've so compiled supports jpeg and png out of box,
> even though the configure complaints that Emacs is not using -ljpeg
> or -lpng.

Right! This is support from the OS (with Mail or Preview you can see
PNG, JPEG, JPEG-2000, TIFF, GIF ...), and so it's not listed. Invoke
for example

	otool -L <path to sources>/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs #
(with optional | sort)

It gives for me:

	/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit
(compatibility version 45.0.0, current version 824.48.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libcairo.2.dylib (compatibility version 10803.0.0,
current version 10803.6.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libdbus-1.3.dylib (compatibility version 8.0.0,
current version 8.0.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.0.dylib (compatibility version
1401.0.0, current version 1401.7.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libglib-2.0.0.dylib (compatibility version 1801.0.0,
current version 1801.3.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libgmodule-2.0.0.dylib (compatibility version
1801.0.0, current version 1801.3.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libgobject-2.0.0.dylib (compatibility version
1801.0.0, current version 1801.3.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libintl.8.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0, current
version 9.2.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libncurses.5.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0,
current version 5.0.0)
	/opt/local/lib/librsvg-2.2.dylib (compatibility version 25.0.0,
current version 25.3.0)
	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 88.1.12)
	/usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 1.0.0)

You can also try to view graphics files of different types to find
out what already is supported – or check the variable image-types
(svg png gif tiff jpeg xpm xbm pbm). In GNU Emacs 23 you're able to
see a lot of formats displayed directly.  If you see some binary
garbage in the buffer, then C-c C-c will convert it to a picture
(watch both times the mode-line) – and back!

> However, I'm not clear what's going on behind the scene, or what
> are the conditions of other libs.

You could check the file config.log – though the configure run much
too often creates only a useless castrated version of a few hundred
bytes length (could be a 'make clean' or 'make distclean' cancels
this "feature" for the next configure). Another option is build Emacs
in a *compilation* buffer:

	M-x compile RET

delete the text and insert the configure command, then change it to
contain:

	... sh -x ./configure ...

This will produce a few thousand lines of output and show you when
and why configure fails to find or determine something. Save the
buffer (best also close it, because a subsequent compilation can
overwrite it), then continue to work, i.e., investigate the errors by
newly opening the saved file (can take minutes of fontification) and/
or let Emacs build a new version.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Got Mole problems?
Call Avogadro 6.02 x 10^23

* Re: How to compile Emacs on Mac OS X with extra libs from MacPorts
@ 2009-03-21 11:14     ` an00na
From: an00na @ 2009-03-21 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for so many useful hints.
But as I've noticed, you don't configure with `--with-ns'(it is what
the nextstep/INSTALL tells me to do), so what's the point, and what
are the differences between the two(--with-ns and --without-ns)?

@ 2009-03-21 11:24       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-21 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: an00na; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 21.03.2009 um 12:14 schrieb an00na:

> But as I've noticed, you don't configure with `--with-ns'(it is
> what the nextstep/INSTALL tells me to do), so what's the point, and
> what are the differences between the two(--with-ns and --without-ns)?

I am using the X client (--without-ns) and also the (slower, more
sluggish) Aqua client (--with-ns). Both share the same ELisp
installation.

--
Greetings
                                  <]

* Re: How to compile Emacs on Mac OS X with extra libs from MacPorts
@ 2009-03-21 12:19         ` an00na
From: an00na @ 2009-03-21 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I see.
Just to point out that when configuring --with-ns, external libs
installed via MacPorts such as ljpeg an lpng can not be configured in,
and as I know now, they are not needed, either.
Thanks for all you help.

@ 2009-03-21 12:34   ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2009-03-21 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: an0, help-gnu-emacs

Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 21.03.2009 um 04:20 schrieb an0:
>
>> Have anyone made it on Mac OS X with MacPorts?
>
> One big bug is that the configure script has hardcoded /sw (Fink) related
> paths. You could substitute that with /opt ...

Are you sure that isn't just because /opt/local is searched anyway?
My librsvg-2 from MacPorts is picked up without any options.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: How to compile Emacs on Mac OS X with extra libs from MacPorts
@ 2009-03-21 13:11     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-21 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolaj Schumacher; +Cc: an0, help-gnu-emacs

Am 21.03.2009 um 13:34 schrieb Nikolaj Schumacher:

>> One big bug is that the configure script has hardcoded /sw (Fink)
>> related
>> paths. You could substitute that with /opt ...
>
> Are you sure that isn't just because /opt/local is searched anyway?

grep /sw/ configure !

> My librsvg-2 from MacPorts is picked up without any options.

Because /opt/local/bin/pkg-config knows where to look for! Again,
check the configure log in *shell* or *compilation* or config.log or
re-set PKG_CONFIG_PATH to create failures!

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Es gibt 10 Sorten Leute: solche, die binär verstehen, und solche, die
es nicht verstehen.

* Re: How to compile Emacs on Mac OS X with extra libs from MacPorts
@ 2009-03-21 17:04 ` Mike Mattie
From: Mike Mattie @ 2009-03-21 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: an0; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Here is my solution. ymmv.

It assumes that emacs cvs/tarball is in a subdir "emacs".

As far as getting Emacs to pick up the X11 headers I have never been able to build
against a pure Apple X11. To get all the right headers I usually install gtk
via macports, which fails, but pulls just about all the X headers in the process.

It's ugly, but it can run when I go to bed, and in the morning building Emacs
actually works.

I hope it helps a bit.

--
GnuPG Key: B9012279 is available from HKP server pgp.mit.edu

[-- Attachment #1.2: configure-emacs.sh --]
[-- Type: application/x-sh, Size: 1252 bytes --]

* Re: How to compile Emacs on Mac OS X with extra libs from MacPorts
@ 2009-03-21 17:47   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-21 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Mattie; +Cc: an0, help-gnu-emacs

Am 21.03.2009 um 18:04 schrieb Mike Mattie:

> I have never been able to build against a pure Apple X11

You don't need GTK, you can use the Athena widgets: --with-x-
toolkit=athena (or lucid). Then most graphics libraries will be
missing. In Tiger /System/Library/Frameworks/
ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/
Versions/A/Resources provides lib{GIF|JP2|JPEG|Png|TIFF}.dylib –
don't know whether they can be used. X clients of GNU Emacs 22.x and
23.x can be built, although they are not really complete.

--
Greetings

   Pete

A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems.
				– Erdős Pál