all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Iterating over all docstrings in a Lisp buffer
@ 2014-06-24 15:16 Sebastian Wiesner
From: Sebastian Wiesner @ 2014-06-24 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

how would I iterate over all function/macro/variable docstrings in an Emacs Lisp buffer?

The idea is to write a command that automatically re-wraps all docstrings in the current buffer.  I’d like to use this as part of a test suite to automatically check whether contributed code adheres to the Emacs Lisp style guide.

Thanks,
Sebastian Wiesner

* Re: Iterating over all docstrings in a Lisp buffer
@ 2014-06-24 15:23 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-06-24 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sebastian Wiesner <swiesner@lunaryorn.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> how would I iterate over all function/macro/variable docstrings in an
> Emacs Lisp buffer?
>
> The idea is to write a command that automatically re-wraps all
> docstrings in the current buffer.  I’d like to use this as part of a
> test suite to automatically check whether contributed code adheres to
> the Emacs Lisp style guide.

Here is a link to a function that cycles docstring visibility and thus
should iterate over the whole buffer:

,----
`----

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Iterating over all docstrings in a Lisp buffer
@ 2014-06-24 15:41   ` Sebastian Wiesner
From: Sebastian Wiesner @ 2014-06-24 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 24.06.2014 um 17:23 schrieb Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com>:

> Sebastian Wiesner <swiesner@lunaryorn.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> how would I iterate over all function/macro/variable docstrings in an
>> Emacs Lisp buffer?
>>
>> The idea is to write a command that automatically re-wraps all
>> docstrings in the current buffer.  I’d like to use this as part of a
>> test suite to automatically check whether contributed code adheres to
>> the Emacs Lisp style guide.
>
> Here is a link to a function that cycles docstring visibility and thus
> should iterate over the whole buffer:
>
> ,----
> | http://www.prodevtips.com/2013/06/15/hiding-clojure-and-elisp-docstrings-in-emacs/
> `——

As far as I can see this function iterates over all multi-line strings in a buffer.  That would not be safe to use for the aforementioned purpose:  There might be other multi-line strings in a buffer that should not be re-wrapped, because the line breaks therein might be significant.

I’m more looking for a solution that takes `doc-string-elt’ property of the current definition into account.

Thanks for your input, though

@ 2014-06-24 16:51 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2014-06-24 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sebastian Wiesner <swiesner@lunaryorn.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> how would I iterate over all function/macro/variable docstrings in an
> Emacs Lisp buffer?
>
> The idea is to write a command that automatically re-wraps all
> docstrings in the current buffer.  I’d like to use this as part of a
> test suite to automatically check whether contributed code adheres to
> the Emacs Lisp style guide.

Did you notice checkdoc.el?  Anyway, checkdoc-next-docstring could be
used for your iteration, I think.

Michael.

* Re: Iterating over all docstrings in a Lisp buffer
@ 2014-06-24 19:49   ` Sebastian Wiesner
From: Sebastian Wiesner @ 2014-06-24 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 24.06.2014 um 18:51 schrieb Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de>:

> Sebastian Wiesner <swiesner@lunaryorn.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> how would I iterate over all function/macro/variable docstrings in an
>> Emacs Lisp buffer?
>>
>> The idea is to write a command that automatically re-wraps all
>> docstrings in the current buffer.  I’d like to use this as part of a
>> test suite to automatically check whether contributed code adheres to
>> the Emacs Lisp style guide.
>
> Did you notice checkdoc.el?  Anyway, checkdoc-next-docstring could be
> used for your iteration, I think.

Great, thank you!  I actually know checkdoc, but for some strange reason I did not occur to me to take a look at it.