all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Putting a – on both sides of a region
@ 2011-03-30 12:17 Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-03-30 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I use a – –en dash– for sub sentences. What I would like is that when
I insert this character and I have selected a region, that the en dash
is inserted before the region and after it. Is this hard to implement?

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

* Re: Putting a – on both sides of a region
@ 2011-03-30 12:55 ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-03-30 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cecil Westerhof; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

2011/3/30 Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl>:
> I use a – –en dash– for sub sentences. What I would like is that when
> I insert this character and I have selected a region, that the en dash
> is inserted before the region and after it. Is this hard to implement?

I think it depends on how you insert this character. Here is a crude
command which does it for you:

(defun insert-or-wrap (string)
  (interactive "*")
  (if (not (use-region-p))
      (insert string)
    (let ((beg (region-beginning))
          (end (region-end)))
    (goto-char beg)
    (insert string)
    (goto-char (+ (length string) end))
    (insert string))))

So (insert-or-wrap "heh") wraps the region in "heh" if the region is
active, otherwise it simply inserts "heh" at point.

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: Putting a – on both sides of a region
@ 2011-03-30 13:22 ` Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2011-03-30 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cecil Westerhof; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 8:17 PM, Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> wrote:

> I use a – –en dash– for sub sentences. What I would like is that when
> I insert this character and I have selected a region, that the en dash
> is inserted before the region and after it. Is this hard to implement?
>
> --
> Cecil Westerhof
> Senior Software Engineer
> LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/cecilwesterhof

(defun wrap-region-maybe (arg)
  "wrap region in char or run `self-insert-command' if no region"
  (interactive "*p")
  (if (use-region-p)
      (let ((r-beg (region-beginning))
            (r-end (+ arg (region-end))))
        (goto-char r-beg)
        (self-insert-command arg)
        (goto-char r-end)
        (self-insert-command arg))
    (self-insert-command arg)))

--
Le

* Re: Putting a – on both sides of a region
@ 2011-03-30 13:54 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2011-03-30 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:

> I use a – –en dash– for sub sentences. What I would like is that when
> I insert this character and I have selected a region, that the en dash
> is inserted before the region and after it.

You should not.  Typographically, it's the — em dash that's used for
this purpose.

> Is this hard to implement?

No.

* Re: Putting a – on both sides of a region
@ 2011-03-30 15:06   ` Teemu Likonen
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3.1301497661.5543.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2011-03-30 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pascal J. Bourguignon; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* 2011-03-30 15:54 (+0200), Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:

> Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:
>> I use a – –en dash– for sub sentences. What I would like is that when
>> I insert this character and I have selected a region, that the en
>> dash is inserted before the region and after it.
>
> You should not. Typographically, it's the — em dash that's used for
> this purpose.

Depends on the language.

@ 2011-03-30 15:24     ` rusi
From: rusi @ 2011-03-30 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

No consensus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash#En_dash_versus_em_dash

@ 2011-03-30 16:51   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-03-30 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pascal J. Bourguignon; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 30.03.2011 um 15:54 schrieb Pascal J. Bourguignon:

> You should not.  Typographically, it's the — em dash that's used for
> this purpose.

This is bad US American taste. No European, including the British,
would do so.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Who the fsck is "General Failure," and why is he reading my disk?

* RE: Putting a - on both sides of a region
@ 2011-03-30 19:40     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-03-30 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Peter Dyballa', 'Pascal J. Bourguignon'; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> No European, including the British, would do so.

Real Europeans don't consider the British European.
Likewise, real Brits, no doubt.

Jusssst kidding. ;-)