all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: <klaus.berndl@sdm.de>
Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: RE: ECB
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 10:45:41 +0100	[thread overview]

Richard Stallman wrote:
>     Ah, very interesting - supposed balance-windos obeys
>     window-sized-fixed then ECB could advice `balance-window' and
>     setting window-sized-fix to t temporally for the buffers
>     displayed by the special ECB-windows (which should be ignored for
> balancing)...
>
> It should not use advice!
>
> Why not set window-size-fixed permanently in these buffers?

IMHO this should be the users choice if he/she wants to side-panel
(or top-panal for layouts of type top) of the ECB-windows being fixed
when resizing the ECB-frame.

In general i agree with you concerning using advices, but IMO currently
they are still necessary if one wants to build something like ECB on top
of Emacs and give the users the feeling if the edit-windows of ECB are
the only windows in the frame and allow all features users are used to
use (e.g. deciding if they want windows fixed or not...)

Until we have a robust and general mechanism to exclude special windows
from being taken into account by fnctions like deleting, balancing windows
etc.... (as i described in my previous posting) ECB will use advices as
best possible workaround. The advices of ECB are always safe because they
are savely only active when ECB is active...