all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#9675: 24.0.50; doc for font name specification
@ 2011-10-05 14:59 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-10-05 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9675

(elisp) Low-Level Font says this about `font-spec' keyword `:name':

 The font name (a string), in either XLFD, Fontconfig, or GTK
 format.  *Note Font Specification Options: (emacs)Font X.

There is no explanation or cross reference to understand what those 3
formats are, and without that info this description is useless.  The
cross ref that is there takes you to a node about font specification on
the command line (for X Window only?).

Please _specify_ the available formats for the `:name' value.  Or if
they are in fact already clearly specified somewhere, then please cross
reference that/those location(s).

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-09-19 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt'

* bug#9675: 24.0.50; doc for font name specification
@ 2011-10-05 15:03 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-10-05 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9675

Also, the same node, (elisp) Low-Level Font, has this in its description of
`font-xlfd-name':

 "*Note Font Specification Options: (emacs)Font X, for
  information about XLFDs."

AFAICT, there is nothing at that cross referenced node that says anything about
XLFDs.  Seems like the wrong cross reference is being used, or perhaps the
relevant information was moved out of the cross-referenced node.

* bug#9675: 24.0.50; doc for font name specification
@ 2011-10-05 21:40   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2011-10-05 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 9675

> Also, the same node, (elisp) Low-Level Font, has this in its description of
> `font-xlfd-name':
>
>  "*Note Font Specification Options: (emacs)Font X, for
>   information about XLFDs."
>
> AFAICT, there is nothing at that cross referenced node that says anything about
> XLFDs.  Seems like the wrong cross reference is being used, or perhaps the
> relevant information was moved out of the cross-referenced node.

Fixed, thanks.

* bug#9675: 24.0.50; doc for font name specification
@ 2011-10-06 14:08 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2011-10-06 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 9675

> (elisp) Low-Level Font says this about `font-spec' keyword `:name':
>
>  The font name (a string), in either XLFD, Fontconfig, or GTK
>  format.  *Note Font Specification Options: (emacs)Font X.
>
> There is no explanation or cross reference to understand what those 3
> formats are, and without that info this description is useless.

Font X has a cross-reference to Fonts which does contain the
documentation you are looking for. I presume Chong's fix was to link
directly there.

But before specifying the formats, it says "on X...". Windows accepts
the first three formats listed, but I am not sure about the NS port. If
that accepts those formats too, then the "on X..." should be removed.