all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* increasing font size hangs the emacs
@ 2008-06-30  8:22 Ask
From: Ask @ 2008-06-30  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

I am using emacs (21.1) under X server (fvwm ) environment where I
connect to the X server using vnc client. Running emacs results into a
new X window where fonts are very small. This has started when I
sytared using a computer with high resolution (1440x900). When I
increase the font size  to say 9x15, it takes quite a lot of time to
do this. It gives an illusion of emacs getting hung. Please help. Does
anybody know of a quick fix ?

Thanks

* Re: increasing font size hangs the emacs
@ 2008-06-30 10:16 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
       [not found] ` <mailman.13994.1214821010.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-06-30 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Ask; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ask <ask.q@indiatimes.com> wrote:

> When I increase the font size to say 9x15, it takes quite a lot of
> time to do this.

I don't have a fix, but maybe specifying the font on the command
line helps avoid it.  Also you could try a more recent version of Emacs.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: increasing font size hangs the emacs
@ 2008-06-30 11:45 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.13994.1214821010.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-06-30 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Ask; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 30.06.2008 um 10:22 schrieb Ask:

> Does anybody know of a quick fix ?

Imagine ~/.Xdefaults-<X client name>. There you can set a particular
font (and more) for the remote GNU Emacs.

--
Greetings

   Pete

This is a signature virus.  Add me to your signature and help me to live

@ 2008-07-02  9:31   ` nakkaya
From: nakkaya @ 2008-07-02  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

you can also set it in .emacs

(defun na-resize-frame-big ()
  "Set size"
  (interactive)
  (set-face-attribute 'default (selected-frame) :height 130 :width 'normal)
  (set-frame-width (selected-frame) 178)
  (set-frame-height (selected-frame) 50 )
  (set-frame-position (selected-frame) 0 1))

when you call this function it will make emacs full screen with bigger
fonts. to set a particular font you can use

  (set-default-font "monaco")

or for firefox like cycling you can try

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CycleFontSizes

--
Nurullah Akkaya

@ 2008-07-03  8:09   ` Ask
From: Ask @ 2008-07-03  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 30, 3:16 pm, Nikolaj Schumacher <n_schumac...@web.de> wrote:
> Ask <as...@indiatimes.com> wrote:
> > When I increase the font size to say 9x15, it takes quite a lot of
> > time to do this.
>
> I don't have a fix, but maybe specifying the font on the command
> line helps avoid it.  Also you could try a more recent version of Emacs.
>
> regards,
> Nikolaj Schumacher

Amazing. Thanks !!! It worked. Ilike this '9x15' font and want to set
on my xterm too.
Do you know what is the expansion for '9x15' ? For example '6x13' is a
nickname of

"-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-*-*-*-c-60-iso8859-1"

I am looking for similar expansion for 9x15.

Thanks in advance.

* Re: increasing font size hangs the emacs
@ 2008-07-03 13:11     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-07-03 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Ask; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 03.07.2008 um 10:09 schrieb Ask:

> Do you know what is the expansion for '9x15' ?

	xlsfonts | grep 9x15

--
Greetings

   Pete