all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs CC Mode's auto-newline facility:  INFORMAL SURVEY
@ 2005-04-08 19:58 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2005-04-08 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

To all those who use (X)Emacs's CC Mode to edit C, C++, Java,
Objective-C, Pike, AWK or IDL:

To help direct the development of CC Mode, it would be useful to find out
how people use the auto-newline "minor mode" facility.  If you could
spare a little time, would you answer these questions, please:

o Do you program with auto-newline switched on (e.g. do you get NLs
  inserted automatically after typing a `;' or `{')?
o Did you configure this auto-newline setting yourself, and if not, are
  you happy with it?
o Are you aware of the key binding C-c C-a to toggle this mode on and
  off?
o How often do you use C-c C-a (or even C-c C-t) to toggle auto-newline
  mode?
o In which language(s) (C, C++, ....) do you program in (X)Emacs?

Further pertinent comments are, of course, welcome.  Thanks in advance
for your time.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter

* Re: Emacs CC Mode's auto-newline facility: INFORMAL SURVEY
@ 2005-04-08 20:18 ` MSR
                   ` (11 subsequent siblings)
From: MSR @ 2005-04-08 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> To all those who use (X)Emacs's CC Mode to edit C, C++, Java,
> Objective-C, Pike, AWK or IDL:
>
> To help direct the development of CC Mode, it would be useful to find
out
> how people use the auto-newline "minor mode" facility.  If you could
> spare a little time, would you answer these questions, please:
>
> o Do you program with auto-newline switched on (e.g. do you get NLs
>   inserted automatically after typing a `;' or `{')?

No. It is off

> o Did you configure this auto-newline setting yourself, and if not,
are
>   you happy with it?

No. Default setting

> o Are you aware of the key binding C-c C-a to toggle this mode on and
>   off?

No

> o How often do you use C-c C-a (or even C-c C-t) to toggle
auto-newline
>   mode?

Never

> o In which language(s) (C, C++, ....) do you program in (X)Emacs?

C, C++ and occationally in Java

> Further pertinent comments are, of course, welcome.  Thanks in
advance
> for your time.
>
> --
> Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
> Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter
> (like "aa"), remove half of them (leaving, say, "a").

* Re: Emacs CC Mode's auto-newline facility: INFORMAL SURVEY
@ 2005-04-08 20:31 ` William Hughes
                   ` (10 subsequent siblings)
From: William Hughes @ 2005-04-08 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> To all those who use (X)Emacs's CC Mode to edit C, C++, Java,
> Objective-C, Pike, AWK or IDL:
>
> To help direct the development of CC Mode, it would be useful to find
out
> how people use the auto-newline "minor mode" facility.  If you could
> spare a little time, would you answer these questions, please:
>
> o Do you program with auto-newline switched on (e.g. do you get NLs
>   inserted automatically after typing a `;' or `{')?

No

> o Did you configure this auto-newline setting yourself, and if not,
are
>   you happy with it?

No,  but I am happy enough with it
   (my configuration is largely base on one over a decade old,
    and I don't understand  most of it )

> o Are you aware of the key binding C-c C-a to toggle this mode on and
>   off?

No

> o How often do you use C-c C-a (or even C-c C-t) to toggle
auto-newline
>   mode?

Never

> o In which language(s) (C, C++, ....) do you program in (X)Emacs?

> Further pertinent comments are, of course, welcome.  Thanks in
advance
> for your time.
>
> --
> Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
> Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter
> (like "aa"), remove half of them (leaving, say, "a").

                     - William Hughes

* Re: Emacs CC Mode's auto-newline facility:  INFORMAL SURVEY
@ 2005-04-08 21:38 ` Aidan Kehoe
                   ` (9 subsequent siblings)
From: Aidan Kehoe @ 2005-04-08 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Originally sent to Alan by email; posted to the NG now that I’ve sorted out
the posting issues I was having when I first read the message.]

(I’m not especially a power user of CC mode, except that I edit C most
days--but I suppose feedback from people in my position is relevant too.)

 Ar an t-ochtú lá de mí Aibréan, scríobh Alan Mackenzie:

 > To all those who use (X)Emacs's CC Mode to edit C, C++, Java,
 > Objective-C, Pike, AWK or IDL:
 >
 > To help direct the development of CC Mode, it would be useful to find out
 > how people use the auto-newline "minor mode" facility.  If you could
 > spare a little time, would you answer these questions, please:
 >
 > o Do you program with auto-newline switched on (e.g. do you get NLs
 >   inserted automatically after typing a `;' or `{')?

No. If I were to notice them being inserted, my first reaction would be to
look up what the relevant feature is, and turn it off; that reaction,
though, would be from the same point of view as my reaction to the behaviour
of the tab key in emacs when I first used the editor, which reaction I think
was wrong, all these years later :-) .

That said, does cperl-mode (for example) offer a feature like this? Because
I could imagine the switching between the two options when people move
between Perl and C as being very annoying.

 > o Did you configure this auto-newline setting yourself, and if not, are
 >   you happy with it?
 > o Are you aware of the key binding C-c C-a to toggle this mode on and
 >   off?

No.

 > o How often do you use C-c C-a (or even C-c C-t) to toggle auto-newline
 >   mode?

This newsgroup posting is the first I’ve heard of it.

 > o In which language(s) (C, C++, ....) do you program in (X)Emacs?

C, long list of other languages not especially relevant to CC-mode.

That said, I really appreciate the attention to detail and general
completeness of CC mode. It’s calming to know I can load it and it’ll just
work, much more than not, after having used some of the php-modes that are
to be had in the wild :-) .

--
“I, for instance, am gung-ho about open source because my family is being
held hostage in Rob Malda’s basement. But who fact-checks me, or Enderle,

* Re: Emacs CC Mode's auto-newline facility:  INFORMAL SURVEY
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-04-08 22:11 ` Jonathan Arnold
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Jonathan Arnold @ 2005-04-08 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> To all those who use (X)Emacs's CC Mode to edit C, C++, Java,
> Objective-C, Pike, AWK or IDL:
>
> To help direct the development of CC Mode, it would be useful to find out
> how people use the auto-newline "minor mode" facility.  If you could
> spare a little time, would you answer these questions, please:
>
> o Do you program with auto-newline switched on (e.g. do you get NLs
>   inserted automatically after typing a `;' or `{')?

Yes, I recently switched over.

> o Did you configure this auto-newline setting yourself, and if not, are
>   you happy with it?

I tried configuring it but no luck, so I make do.

> o Are you aware of the key binding C-c C-a to toggle this mode on and
>   off?

Nope. But it is good to know.

> o How often do you use C-c C-a (or even C-c C-t) to toggle auto-newline
>   mode?

Never.

> o In which language(s) (C, C++, ....) do you program in (X)Emacs?

C++

I like it, but find it gets in the way about as often as it is useful.
I wish I could get it to better match how I code (ie, esp. the opening
brace).

--
Jonathan Arnold             (mailto:jdarnold@buddydog.org)
The Incredible Brightness of Seeing, a Home Theater weblog

* Re: Emacs CC Mode's auto-newline facility:  INFORMAL SURVEY
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-04-08 22:13 ` Ben Pfaff
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Ben Pfaff @ 2005-04-08 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> o Do you program with auto-newline switched on (e.g. do you get NLs
>   inserted automatically after typing a `;' or `{')?

Yes.

> o Did you configure this auto-newline setting yourself, and if not, are
>   you happy with it?

Yes.  I have some customization in my .emacs.  I don't know elisp
well enough to tell whether this code entirely makes sense, but
it seems to do what I want:

;; Returns true if the last character typed by the user was a
;; semicolon.  (This is a gross hack.)
(defun newline-if-semi ()
  (= last-command-char ?\;))

;; My style for C, based on GNU style.
(defconst blp-c-style
    ;; Insert a newline after a typed semicolon if the line after this
    ;; one is blank and we're not inside a set of parentheses.
    ;; Never insert a newline after a comma.
    (c-hanging-semi&comma-criteria . (c-semi&comma-no-newlines-before-nonblanks
				      c-semi&comma-inside-parenlist
				      newline-if-semi))

For what it's worth, I use this in conjunction with custom
keybindings to create and end {} blocks:

  ;; Simplifies braced blocks: just type M-{ at the beginning, type
  ;; some statements, type M-} to end it, and no need to worry about
  ;; anything else.
  (local-set-key [?\M-{] 'insert-brace)
  (local-set-key [?\M-}] 'move-past-brace-and-reindent)

  ;; Inserts a pair of braces {}, properly spacing them, and puts the
  ;; cursor between them.
  (defun insert-brace ()
    (interactive)
    (setq last-command-event ?{)
    (c-electric-brace nil)
    (c-indent-line)
    (save-excursion
      (insert "\n\n}")
      (c-indent-command)))

  (defun move-past-brace-and-reindent ()
    (interactive)
    (delete-all-blank-lines)
    (search-forward "}")
    (let ((save-point))
      (save-excursion
        (insert "\n")
        (c-indent-line)
        (setq save-point (point)))
      (funcall blink-paren-function)
      (goto-char save-point)))
  (defun delete-all-blank-lines ()
    "Delete all surrounding blank lines."
    (interactive "*")
    (save-excursion
      (beginning-of-line)
      (if (looking-at "[ \t]*$")
          (delete-region (if (re-search-backward "[^ \t\n]" nil t)
                             (progn (forward-line 1) (point))
                           (point-min))
                         (if (re-search-forward "[^ \t\n]" nil t)
                             (progn (beginning-of-line) (point))
                           (point-max))))))

> o Are you aware of the key binding C-c C-a to toggle this mode on and
>   off?

Yes.

> o How often do you use C-c C-a (or even C-c C-t) to toggle auto-newline
>   mode?

Hardly ever.

> o In which language(s) (C, C++, ....) do you program in (X)Emacs?

C mostly.  Fairly often Perl, Bourne shell.  Occasionally Java,
C++.
--
"Large amounts of money tend to quench any scruples I might be having."
  -- Stephan Wilms

* Re: Emacs CC Mode's auto-newline facility:  INFORMAL SURVEY
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-04-10 18:34 ` Eric Eide
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric Eide @ 2005-04-10 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Alan" == Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

	Alan> o Do you program with auto-newline switched on (e.g. do you get
	Alan>   NLs inserted automatically after typing a `;' or `{')?

Yes.

	Alan> o Did you configure this auto-newline setting yourself, and if
	Alan>   not, are you happy with it?

Yes; N/A.

	Alan> o Are you aware of the key binding C-c C-a to toggle this mode on
	Alan>   and off?

Yes.

	Alan> o How often do you use C-c C-a (or even C-c C-t) to toggle
	Alan>   auto-newline mode?

Never.

	Alan> o In which language(s) (C, C++, ....) do you program in (X)Emacs?

Relevant to CC Mode: C, C++, Java, IDL.

Eric Eide <eeide@cs.utah.edu>  .         University of Utah School of Computing
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~eeide/ . +1 (801) 585-5512 voice, +1 (801) 581-5843 FAX

* Re: Emacs CC Mode's auto-newline facility:  INFORMAL SURVEY
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-04-10 21:22 ` Vedat Hallac
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Vedat Hallac @ 2005-04-10 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 19:58:01 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> o Do you program with auto-newline switched on (e.g. do you get NLs
>   inserted automatically after typing a `;' or `{')?
Yes.

> o Did you configure this auto-newline setting yourself, and if not, are
>   you happy with it?
I think it was the default (it is hard to remember how long I've carried
the same init file from machine to machine). I just configured it to
conform to our coding standandards. :-)

> o Are you aware of the key binding C-c C-a to toggle this mode on and
>   off?
I knew about it a long time ago, but forgot due to not using it often
enough.

> o How often do you use C-c C-a (or even C-c C-t) to toggle auto-newline
>   mode?
Never in the last two years or so. But there are times when I should.
Especially when typing in initializers for arrays of structures. I do not
always want to see them formatted as C code, especially when they are
short (pointer, length) pairs.

> o In which language(s) (C, C++, ....) do you program in (X)Emacs?
Mostly C, with a little bit of C++ and Java. Occasionally I do some
assembly code for various CPUs/micro controllers.

> Further pertinent comments are, of course, welcome.  Thanks in advance
> for your time.
I am quite happy with the current functionality set of the CC mode. I
wouldn't mind any feature being off by default. If it is useful I would
turn it on as soon as I learn about its existence, or if I notice
something that used to be there but isn't anymore. :-)

* Re: Emacs CC Mode's auto-newline facility:  INFORMAL SURVEY
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-04-11  6:39 ` Klaus Zeitler
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Klaus Zeitler @ 2005-04-11  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Alan> o Do you program with auto-newline switched on (e.g. do you get NLs
    Alan>   inserted automatically after typing a `;' or `{')?

yes, always

    Alan> o Did you configure this auto-newline setting yourself, and if not,
    Alan>   are you happy with it?

yes many years ago

    Alan> o Are you aware of the key binding C-c C-a to toggle this mode on and
    Alan>   off?

no (but in emacs you learn something new every day :-))

    Alan> o How often do you use C-c C-a (or even C-c C-t) to toggle
    Alan>   auto-newline mode?

I don't need it, since I don't intend to turn it of

    Alan> o In which language(s) (C, C++, ....) do you program in (X)Emacs?

C and C++

    Alan> Further pertinent comments are, of course, welcome.  Thanks in
    Alan> advance for your time.

- since every once in a while one doesn't want/need an auto-newline, hungry
  delete mode comes in handy
- fortunately CPerl has the same feature

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
---
Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.

* Re: Emacs CC Mode's auto-newline facility:  INFORMAL SURVEY
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-04-11 10:19 ` James
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: James @ 2005-04-11 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

In comp.lang.objective-c Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:

> o Do you program with auto-newline switched on (e.g. do you get NLs
>  inserted automatically after typing a `;' or `{')?
No - and I don't like the sound of it!

> o Are you aware of the key binding C-c C-a to toggle this mode on and
>  off?
Nope.

> o In which language(s) (C, C++, ....) do you program in (X)Emacs?
I use Emacs for C++ at work but I stick with the XCode default editor
at home on the Mac because of its Obj-C/Cocoa autocompletion goodness.

* Re: Emacs CC Mode's auto-newline facility:  INFORMAL SURVEY
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-04-11 17:52 ` Robert Marshall
       [not found] ` <9on63d.36.ln-Yd3Idk226uQ@public.gmane.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert Marshall @ 2005-04-11 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 19:58:01 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> o Do you program with auto-newline switched on (e.g. do you get NLs
>   inserted automatically after typing a `;' or `{')?

Yes

> o Did you configure this auto-newline setting yourself, and if not,
>   are you happy with it?

Yes I configured it myself and I've used it for many years, I have
spells of getting irritated with it, maybe I should use it when
creating the original file and then turn it off when editing an
existing file

> o Are you aware of the key binding C-c C-a to toggle this mode on
>   and off?

Dimly

> o How often do you use C-c C-a (or even C-c C-t) to toggle
>   auto-newline mode?

Very rarely - more likely to pull if off the menu when I can't
remember the key binding

> o In which language(s) (C, C++, ....) do you program in (X)Emacs?

C++ and java - sometimes C

> Further pertinent comments are, of course, welcome.  Thanks in
> advance for your time.

Your consultation is appreciated!

Robert
--
La grenouille songe..dans son château d'eau

@ 2005-04-11 20:51   ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2005-04-11 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Quick answers:

Alan Mackenzie <acm-h9bWGtP8wOw@public.gmane.org> writes:

> o Do you program with auto-newline switched on (e.g. do you get NLs
>   inserted automatically after typing a `;' or `{')?

yes

> o Did you configure this auto-newline setting yourself, and if not, are
>   you happy with it?

probably not; mostly happy

> o Are you aware of the key binding C-c C-a to toggle this mode on and
>   off?

no

> o How often do you use C-c C-a (or even C-c C-t) to toggle auto-newline
>   mode?

nil

> o In which language(s) (C, C++, ....) do you program in (X)Emacs?

C++ (C, Python, LISP, Fortran, shell)

> Further pertinent comments are, of course, welcome.  Thanks in advance
> for your time.

Would be nice to have it only work in code-files but not (or only
partly) in headers (C++). Inside class declarations I'm often annoyed
by the three lines added by "{};". c-c C-a will help here, though.

Greetings,
Jochen
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)

* Re: Emacs CC Mode's auto-newline facility:  INFORMAL SURVEY
                   ` (10 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <9on63d.36.ln-Yd3Idk226uQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2005-04-12 11:47 ` Greg Rowe
From: Greg Rowe @ 2005-04-12 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> o Do you program with auto-newline switched on (e.g. do you get NLs
>   inserted automatically after typing a `;' or `{')?

No, I find it distracting.

> o Did you configure this auto-newline setting yourself, and if not, are
>   you happy with it?

Yes and no.  I did try auto-newline but I didn't like it so I returned
to the default setting.

> o Are you aware of the key binding C-c C-a to toggle this mode on and
>   off?

No I wasn't, however that's only because I don't like auto-newline.  :)

> o How often do you use C-c C-a (or even C-c C-t) to toggle auto-newline
>   mode?

I never do.

> o In which language(s) (C, C++, ....) do you program in (X)Emacs?

Any time I am coding I use emacs.  Primarily that is C and C++.

Greg

--
Home is where the .bashrc is.

* Re: Emacs CC Mode's auto-newline facility:  INFORMAL SURVEY
@ 2005-04-12 20:58   ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2005-04-12 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vedat Hallac <vman@black.hole.com> wrote on Mon, 11 Apr 2005 07:22:18 +1000:
> On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 19:58:01 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

[ .... ]

>> o How often do you use C-c C-a (or even C-c C-t) to toggle
>>   auto-newline mode?
> Never in the last two years or so. But there are times when I should.
> Especially when typing in initializers for arrays of structures. I do
> not always want to see them formatted as C code, especially when they
> are short (pointer, length) pairs.

You could actually configure CC Mode only to do auto-newline on certain
types of brace.  For example, on one of these braces, type <CR> before it
to get it onto a line of its own.  Then do C-c C-s to get its "syntactic
context".  You'll get back something like "((bracelist-open 1523))".
Then make sure c-hanging-braces-alist looks something like this:

(setq c-hanging-braces-alist '((bracelist-open)
                               (bracelist-close)))

This will stop auto-newlines going in in these particular circumstances.
(Note:  auto-newlines are put on all braces apart from those in the list.
If you wanted an auto-newline only _after_ a statement-block `{' (say,
for Kernighan & Ritchie formatting) you'd have something like this:

   (setq c-hanging-braces-alist '((bracelist-open)
                                  (bracelist-close)
                                  (substatement-open after)))

).

--

@ 2005-04-12 21:12   ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2005-04-12 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

James <james@weatherley.net> wrote on 11 Apr 2005 10:19:37 GMT:
> In comp.lang.objective-c Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:
>>
>> o Do you program with auto-newline switched on (e.g. do you get NLs
>>  inserted automatically after typing a `;' or `{')?
> No - and I don't like the sound of it!

Neither do either of the current CC Mode maintainers.  ;-)  But there are
quite of lot of people around who do like it, just like so many wierd
things in Emacs.  So it stays!

@ 2005-04-13  8:03     ` Vedat Hallac
From: Vedat Hallac @ 2005-04-13  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:58:12 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> You could actually configure CC Mode only to do auto-newline on certain
> types of brace.  For example, on one of these braces, type <CR> before it
> to get it onto a line of its own.  Then do C-c C-s to get its "syntactic
> context".  You'll get back something like "((bracelist-open 1523))".
> Then make sure c-hanging-braces-alist looks something like this:
>
> (setq c-hanging-braces-alist '((bracelist-open)
>                                (bracelist-close)))
>
> This will stop auto-newlines going in in these particular circumstances.
> (Note:  auto-newlines are put on all braces apart from those in the list.
> If you wanted an auto-newline only _after_ a statement-block `{' (say,
> for Kernighan & Ritchie formatting) you'd have something like this:
>
>    (setq c-hanging-braces-alist '((bracelist-open)
>                                   (bracelist-close)
>                                   (substatement-open after)))
>
> ).

Thanks for the info. I'll do that and see how close I'll get to
perfection. Currently my environment suits me so well that I rarely do
hand formatting of code anymore. It is great to be able to just type in,
and see your code formatted exactly as you want. :-)

BTW, is there an easy way to distinguish between the bracelist-close of
the structure initializer from the bracelist-close of the array
initializer in an array of structure case? What I want is something like:

struct_type_t test[] = {
	{ &var1, sizeof(var1) },
	{ &var2, sizeof(var2) }
};

What you suggest would end up with

struct_type_t test[] = {
	{ &var1, sizeof(var1) },
	{ &var2, sizeof(var2) } };

Which requires one manual correction. :-)

Cheers,
vedat

* Re: Emacs CC Mode's auto-newline facility: INFORMAL SURVEY RESULTS
                   ` (11 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-04-24 16:42 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2005-04-24 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

In gnu.emacs.help Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:

> To help direct the development of CC Mode, it would be useful to find
> out how people use the auto-newline "minor mode" facility.  If you
> could spare a little time, would you answer these questions, please:

A big thank you to all who responded, including another 7 who answered me
by email.

OK: Here are the results (Sometimes with a little necessary
interpretation), with my comments.

> o Do you program with auto-newline switched on (e.g. do you get NLs
>   inserted automatically after typing a `;' or `{')?
Yes: 13
No: 6
Wow!  Lots of people use auto-newline.  Like some respondents, I can't
stand it.  It shows that we need it, and it needs to be optional.

> o Did you configure this auto-newline setting yourself, and if not, are
>   you happy with it?
Yes: 11
No: 4     No/Yes: 3
          No/No: 0
Dumb double question there.  Sorry.

> o Are you aware of the key binding C-c C-a to toggle this mode on and
>   off?
Yes: 6
No: 13
I counted someone who said "No, but I use the menu item" as a yes.

> o How often do you use C-c C-a (or even C-c C-t) to toggle auto-newline
>   mode?
Frequently:
Seldomly: 4
Never: 14
Not a popular toggle.  It would seem that most people either definitely
want auto-newline or definitely don't want it.  Very few seem to want to
toggle it whilst editing; maybe because most people don't know it
exists.

> o In which language(s) (C, C++, ....) do you program in (X)Emacs?
C: 14
C++: 14
Objective-C: 2
Java: 7
Pike: 0
IDL: 1
AWK: 0
Most (but not all) C hackers are also C++ hackers.  It's good to see that
Objective-C and IDL Modes are actually used.  But where are the Pikers and
Awkers?  (We know that there's _at least_ one of each ;-).

--

@ 2005-04-25  2:37   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2005-04-25  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:
> Most (but not all) C hackers are also C++ hackers.  It's good to see that
> Objective-C and IDL Modes are actually used.  But where are the Pikers and
> Awkers?  (We know that there's _at least_ one of each ;-).

I use awk (and highly appreciate the new awk-mode), but don't care about
auto newline.

[Never even heard of "Pike" (though I admit I'm mildly predisposed to
dislike it, as it shares a name with an annoying person, _Rob Pike_).]

-Miles
--
Yo mama's so fat when she gets on an elevator it HAS to go down.

* Re: Emacs CC Mode's auto-newline facility: INFORMAL SURVEY RESULTS
@ 2005-04-25  8:21   ` Chris Croughton
From: Chris Croughton @ 2005-04-25  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 16:42:08 +0000, Alan Mackenzie
   <acm@muc.de> wrote:

Sorry, I've overridden it because I don't get that group...

> Most (but not all) C hackers are also C++ hackers.  It's good to see that
> Objective-C and IDL Modes are actually used.  But where are the Pikers and
> Awkers?  (We know that there's _at least_ one of each ;-).

I use C, C++ and Awk (I've never heard of Pike), but I don't use emacs
<g>.  I use Vim, and Vim's C mode works fine for Awk and C++ as well.
Perhaps all the other Awk writers don't use emacs either <g>...

Chris C