all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* calendar-date-style
@ 2010-03-04 17:46 Pingouin
From: Pingouin @ 2010-03-04 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I recently upgraded to Emacs-23.1.1.  I have an issue with calendar-
date-style.  In calendar I always used "european" date style, all my
appointments and meetings are set up with this style; I had the line
(setq european-calendar-style t) in my .emacs, that did the trick but
now Emacs-23 complains telling me this is an obsolete variable; it
tells me to use "calendar-date-style" instead, but the doc says:

|______________
Setting this variable directly does not take effect (if the
calendar package is already loaded).  Rather, use either
M-x customize or the function `calendar-set-date-style'.
|______________

In .emacs I tried to use the function "calendar-set-date-style" every
way I could think of but with no luck!  Please an example!

I also tried to set "calendar-date-style" through M-x customize, as
suggested.  After setting it to "european", clicking the "Save for
future sessions" button yielded the following error:

|--------------------------------
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function recentf-expand-file-name)
  recentf-expand-file-name("c:/EMACS/.emacs")
  custom-save-all()
  Custom-save((push-button :tag "Save for future sessions" :help-echo
"Apply all settings in this buffer and save them for future Emacs
sessions." :action Custom-save :button-overlay #<overlay from 322 to
346 in *Customize Option: Calendar Date Style*> :from #<marker (moves
after insertion) at 322 in *Customize Option: Calendar Date
Style*> :to #<marker at 346 in *Customize Option: Calendar Date
Style*>) (mouse-1 (#<window 3 on *Customize Option: Calendar Date
Style*> 333 (374 . 40) 251207367 nil 333 (36 . 2) nil (8 . 4) (10 .
22))))
  widget-apply((push-button :tag "Save for future sessions" :help-echo
"Apply all settings in this buffer and save them for future Emacs
sessions." :action Custom-save :button-overlay #<overlay from 322 to
346 in *Customize Option: Calendar Date Style*> :from #<marker (moves
after insertion) at 322 in *Customize Option: Calendar Date
Style*> :to #<marker at 346 in *Customize Option: Calendar Date
Style*>) :action (mouse-1 (#<window 3 on *Customize Option: Calendar
Date Style*> 333 (374 . 40) 251207367 nil 333 (36 . 2) nil (8 . 4)
(10 . 22))))
  widget-apply-action((push-button :tag "Save for future
sessions" :help-echo "Apply all settings in this buffer and save them
for future Emacs sessions." :action Custom-save :button-overlay
#<overlay from 322 to 346 in *Customize Option: Calendar Date
Style*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 322 in *Customize
Option: Calendar Date Style*> :to #<marker at 346 in *Customize
Option: Calendar Date Style*>) (mouse-1 (#<window 3 on *Customize
Option: Calendar Date Style*> 333 (374 . 40) 251207367 nil 333 (36 .
2) nil (8 . 4) (10 . 22))))
  byte-code("      \"\x18\x19rʎ \n \x1a: \x1a
|_____________________

Any suggestions, thanks,

Gérald

* Re: calendar-date-style
@ 2010-03-04 21:44 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-03-04 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pingouin wrote:

> (setq european-calendar-style t) in my .emacs, that did the trick but
> now Emacs-23 complains telling me this is an obsolete variable; it
> tells me to use "calendar-date-style" instead, but the doc says:
>
> |______________
> Setting this variable directly does not take effect (if the
> calendar package is already loaded).

The doc for european-calendar-style said exactly the same thing.
Therefore, you can simply replace

(setq european-calendar-style t)

with

(setq calendar-date-style 'european)

and if the former worked (ie, was evaluated before you load the
calendar), the latter will too. (The former will still work as well.)

By the way, if "Emacs-23 complains telling me this is an obsolete
variable" means that you are byte-compiling your .emacs file, it usually
isn't worth the trouble.

> In .emacs I tried to use the function "calendar-set-date-style" every
> way I could think of but with no luck!  Please an example!

(require 'calendar)
(calendar-set-date-style 'european)

> I also tried to set "calendar-date-style" through M-x customize, as
> suggested.

Works fine for me.

>  After setting it to "european", clicking the "Save for future
> sessions" button yielded the following error:
>
> |--------------------------------
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function recentf-expand-file-name)
>   recentf-expand-file-name("c:/EMACS/.emacs")

I guess you have somehow set `recentf-mode' non-nil without actually
activating recentf-mode. Do you have any settings related to recentf in
your .emacs? The right way to activate recentf is

(recentf-mode 1)

not

(setq recentf-mode t)

* Re: calendar-date-style
@ 2010-03-05  0:12 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2010-03-05  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pingouin <gerald.jean@dgag.ca> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I recently upgraded to Emacs-23.1.1.  I have an issue with calendar-
> date-style.  In calendar I always used "european" date style, all my
> appointments and meetings are set up with this style; I had the line
> (setq european-calendar-style t) in my .emacs, that did the trick but
> now Emacs-23 complains telling me this is an obsolete variable; it
> tells me to use "calendar-date-style" instead, but the doc says:
>
> |______________
> Setting this variable directly does not take effect (if the
> calendar package is already loaded).  Rather, use either
> M-x customize or the function `calendar-set-date-style'.
> |______________
>
> In .emacs I tried to use the function "calendar-set-date-style" every
> way I could think of but with no luck!  Please an example!
>
> I also tried to set "calendar-date-style" through M-x customize, as
> suggested.  After setting it to "european", clicking the "Save for
> future sessions" button yielded the following error:
>
> |--------------------------------
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function recentf-expand-file-name)

A few suggestions -

1. Have a look at the etc/NEWS file for the version of emacs your
running. You will find that a lot of the calendar subsystems have been
re-written. You will also find that you may not need to change the date
style anymore as calendar is now using ISO date formats by default,
eliminating the silly european/us date kformat confusion. The mode has
been extensively re-worked and I'd recommend starting from scratch -
throw away all your previous settings.

2. You could just set the variable directly via setq in your .emacs
file. It just has to be set before you 'require' any calendar functions

3.The error you get with customize is either a bug or it is due to
something configured locally. I'm only guessing, but it may be something
in your customize section that is from earlier customizations and is
breaking things now. The error is related to recentf mode, which I think
is an optional mode that needs to be loaded/configured by the user. My
bet is you have something screwed up in how this is configured.

 I'd try temporarily moving your .emacs to the side,
creating a blank .emacs and trying again. If it works, you know its
something doddgy in your .emacs If it doesn't work, log a bug.

You don't indicate how you have tried to call the
calendar-set-date-style function, but something like

(calendar-set-date-style 'european)

should work.

Tin

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: calendar-date-style
@ 2010-03-05 15:27   ` Pingouin
From: Pingouin @ 2010-03-05 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks to both, Tim and Glen, your comments are invaluable and highly
appreciated.

I think there is a problem between "recentf-mode" and "calendar",
maybe?  Here is what I tried.

1.-- Renamed my .emacs so Emacs will start without any customization.
2.-- Re-started Emacs.
3.-- M-x load-library <enter> calendar <enter>
4.-- M-x customize-variable <enter> calendar-date-style <enter>
5.-- Changed the value from "american" to "iso", any value give the
same result.
6.-- Pushed the "Save for future sessions" button.
7.-- Got the following error in the mini-buffer.

Symbol's function definition is void: recentf-expand-file-name

And, of course, nothing is written to .emacs file.

8.-- Now, in the same session I turned off "recentf-mode".
9.-- Did the customize-variable thing again.
10.-- This time Emacs creates a new .emacs file and writes the
customization to it.

I had been using "recentf-mode" for many versions of Emacs without
problems, I had not changed my .emacs when upgrading to 23.1;
something must have gotten broken somewhere?

Now, I am going to turn to your advice Tim and try to start cleanly
with the rewritten calendar.

Thanks again to both,

Gérald

* Re: calendar-date-style
@ 2010-03-06  3:01     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-03-06  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pingouin wrote:

> I think there is a problem between "recentf-mode" and "calendar",
> maybe?

The calendar does not use anything related to recentf at all.
I think you will get this error trying to save any customization.

I still think something is setting recentf-mode non-nil rather than
activating recentf-mode properly. I would check the value of
recentf-mode after Emacs starts, and look at your site-start/site-lisp
if ~/.emacs is not doing it.