Here I was making the point that it's hard to say what'd be a good enough Clojure mode for Emacs unless you actually a subject expert in Clojure. (or at least reasonable familiar with Clojure) This was a response to the statement that simply deriving from lisp-mode would be good enough. Sorry if I didn't make this clear. The topic of whether Clojure support should be included OOTB is completely orthogonal to this IMO. On Sun, Sep 3, 2023, at 5:42 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2023 17:04:32 +0200 > > From: "Bozhidar Batsov" > > Cc: "Richard Stallman" , "Danny Freeman" , > > "Eli Zaretskii" , "Emacs Devel" , > > "Manuel Uberti" > > > > Without an understanding of Clojure and its tooling ecosystem (and it's history) it's hard to > > make good suggestions about what makes sense and what doesn't. > > I disagree with this assertion, and disagree in general, not just > specifically wrt clojure-mode. One of the important jobs of an Emacs > maintainer is to understand enough about any candidate feature to make > this kind of decisions, without being an expert in its subject matter. > Maybe I'm doing my job not well enough, but you seem to be saying that > this job is impossible to do, and that the only people who can make > good decisions about this are the experts on the subject matter. That > is certainly incorrect. > > It doesn't take a genius to realize that Clojure is an important > programming language, and the way to the decision of having it > supported OOTB in Emacs is very short from there. >