all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Question on Customizing Dired
@ 2009-08-05 18:27 destino
From: destino @ 2009-08-05 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is it possible to customize the information that Dired displays?

I would like to be able to hide the permissions, owner, group, and
date columns for so that it is easy to read in a narrow vertical
split.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

* Re: Question on Customizing Dired
@ 2009-08-06  7:49 ` Xah Lee
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4072.1249593207.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-08-06  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 5, 11:27 am, destino <destin.moul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to customize the information that Dired displays?
>
> I would like to be able to hide the permissions, owner, group, and
> date columns for so that it is easy to read in a narrow vertical
> split.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks!

i think that's good too. In my 10 years using emacs, though i haven't
heard about some package that'd do this.

dired prob could use some overhaul in the next version of emacs. Allow
user to set different views, much like modern OS's file manager. I
should be able to say view it as detail (default emacs), or just file
names, or view creation date, mod date, or customize any columns i
might want to add/remove. Or, view as icons or thumbnails especiall
for photo dir. (currently emacs can do thumbnail with tumme mode)

one FAQ is how to get dired to sort by different orders. Currently,
it's rather lacking and difficult. Another faq is to get dired to
refesh automatically when folde changed outside emacs.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Question on Customizing Dired
@ 2009-08-06  9:48 ` harven
From: harven @ 2009-08-06  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

destino <destin.moulton@gmail.com> writes:

> Is it possible to customize the information that Dired displays?
>
> I would like to be able to hide the permissions, owner, group, and
> date columns for so that it is easy to read in a narrow vertical
> split.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks!

Use the extension dired-details.el or dired-details+.el
or just try something like (setq dired-listing-switches "-agG")

The relevant page on the wiki is http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DiredMode

Hope that helps

* RE: Question on Customizing Dired
@ 2009-08-06 14:50   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-08-06 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'harven', help-gnu-emacs

> > Is it possible to customize the information that Dired displays?
> >
> > I would like to be able to hide the permissions, owner, group, and
> > date columns for so that it is easy to read in a narrow vertical
> > split.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Use the extension dired-details.el or dired-details+.el

And, not or. Use them together: the second extends the first.

@ 2009-08-06 21:13   ` Drew Adams
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4072.1249593207.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-08-06 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Xah Lee', help-gnu-emacs

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DiredDetails

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DiredSortMenu

@ 2009-08-07  2:38     ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-08-07  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 6, 2:13 pm, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
> > > I would like to be able to hide the permissions, owner, group, and
> > > date columns for so that it is easy to read in a narrow vertical
> > > split.
>
> > i think that's good too. In my 10 years using emacs, though i haven't
> > heard about some package that'd do this.
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DiredDetails
>
> > one FAQ is how to get dired to sort by different orders. Currently,
> > it's rather lacking and difficult.
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DiredSortMenu

Thanks Drew. I said too quick. :D

will check those out soon.