all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Disabling eldoc-mode during isearch-mode
@ 2009-09-23  9:10 Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2009-09-23  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm trying to disable eldoc-mode during isearch-mode to prevent
flickering caused by their minibuffer-competition.

I found this

(defadvice eldoc-display-message-no-interference-p (around not-during-
isearch)
  "Prevent eldoc from displaying during isearch."
  (unless isearch-mode) ad-do-it)

to do the job but only after having disabled and enabled eldoc-mode
manually in each buffer that should use this behaviour.

I also noticed that C-h f eldoc-display-message-no-interference-p only
says that function is advice once i evaluate it manually after having
adviced it.

Does it have something to do byte-compiling?

Thanks in advance,
Per Nordlöw

* Re: Disabling eldoc-mode during isearch-mode
@ 2009-09-23  9:42 ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found] ` <mailman.7337.1253717929.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-09-23  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Nordlöw; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Nordlöw <per.nordlow@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to disable eldoc-mode during isearch-mode to prevent
> flickering caused by their minibuffer-competition.

The best way to do that might be to send a bug report.

* Re: Disabling eldoc-mode during isearch-mode
@ 2009-09-23 14:58 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.7337.1253717929.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2009-09-23 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nordlöw wrote:
> I'm trying to disable eldoc-mode during isearch-mode to prevent
> flickering caused by their minibuffer-competition.
>
> I found this
>
> (defadvice eldoc-display-message-no-interference-p (around not-during-
> isearch)
>   "Prevent eldoc from displaying during isearch."
>   (unless isearch-mode) ad-do-it)
>
> to do the job but only after having disabled and enabled eldoc-mode
> manually in each buffer that should use this behaviour.

That looks completely wrong: it unconditionally runs the original
definition via ad-do-it, and the (unless isearch-mode) form doesn't
do anything.  Also, the advice is not activated.

(defadvice eldoc-display-message-no-interference-p (around unless-isearch-mode
							   activate)
   "Disable during incremental search."
   (unless isearch-mode
     ad-do-it))

> I also noticed that C-h f eldoc-display-message-no-interference-p only
> says that function is advice once i evaluate it manually after having
> adviced it.
>
> Does it have something to do byte-compiling?

No, activation.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2009-09-24 10:18   ` Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2009-09-24 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sep 23, 4:58 pm, Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nordlöw wrote:
> > I'm trying to disable eldoc-mode during isearch-mode to prevent
> > flickering caused by their minibuffer-competition.
>
> > I found this
>
> > (defadvice eldoc-display-message-no-interference-p (around not-during-
> > isearch)
> >   "Prevent eldoc from displaying during isearch."
> >   (unless isearch-mode) ad-do-it)
>
> > to do the job but only after having disabled and enabled eldoc-mode
> > manually in each buffer that should use this behaviour.
>
> That looks completely wrong: it unconditionally runs the original
> definition via ad-do-it, and the (unless isearch-mode) form doesn't
> do anything.  Also, the advice is not activated.
>
> (defadvice eldoc-display-message-no-interference-p (around unless-isearch-mode
>                                                            activate)
>    "Disable during incremental search."
>    (unless isearch-mode
>      ad-do-it))
>
> > I also noticed that C-h f eldoc-display-message-no-interference-p only
> > says that function is advice once i evaluate it manually after having
> > adviced it.
>
> > Does it have something to do byte-compiling?
>
> No, activation.
>
> --
> Kevin Rodgers
> Denver, Colorado, USA