all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Killing files open with Tramp?
@ 2009-11-16  9:59 Felix E. Klee
       [not found] ` <mailman.10814.1258389020.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Felix E. Klee @ 2009-11-16  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I recently was unable to kill a file open with Tramp:

/plink:somone@example.com:/some/file

Even though the file was saved, Tramp always tried to connect to the
server, and in the end I just had to kill EMACS.

I'm running it on WinXP 32:

GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-07-30 on SOFT-MJASON

* Re: Killing files open with Tramp?
@ 2009-11-16 16:30 ` Michael Albinus
       [not found] ` <mailman.10814.1258389020.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Albinus @ 2009-11-16 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix E. Klee; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Felix E. Klee" <felix.klee@inka.de> writes:

> I recently was unable to kill a file open with Tramp:
>
> /plink:somone@example.com:/some/file
>
> Even though the file was saved, Tramp always tried to connect to the
> server, and in the end I just had to kill EMACS.

You have always the commands `tramp-cleanup-connection',
`tramp-cleanup-all-connections' and `tramp-cleanup-all-buffers'.

For further investigation, I would need tramp traces when running with
`tramp-verbose' 8. Do you have a reproducible scenario?

Best regards, Michael.

@ 2009-11-16 16:41   ` Felix E. Klee
From: Felix E. Klee @ 2009-11-16 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 16, 7:30 pm, Michael Albinus <michael.albi...@gmx.de> wrote:
> You have always the commands `tramp-cleanup-connection',
> `tramp-cleanup-all-connections' and `tramp-cleanup-all-buffers'.
>
> For further investigation, I would need tramp traces when running with
> `tramp-verbose' 8. Do you have a reproducible scenario?

Thanks, Michael. I will keep these commands in mind.

I just tried to reproduce the problem by creating a remote text file,
putting stuff into it, saving it, then disconnecting the machine from
the network, and trying to kill the buffer. This worked (albeit not
entirely smooth).

So the above method is not a way to reproduce my original problem. In
this case, the A-record of the domain was changed. And to the new
server I didn't have SSH access.