all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs-24.4's release
@ 2014-10-12  4:51 Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-10-12  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Barring any major problem encountered til then, we intend to cut the
24.4 release candidate this Friday, and (assuming nothing went wrong
with that candidate) make the release official the subsequent Monday.

Could someone try to write up a release announcement (i.e. mostly look
at the NEWS and condense it into by selecting the ~10 most noteworthy
new features)?

* Re: Emacs-24.4's release
@ 2014-10-14 21:54 Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-10-14 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com>:
> Will there be a mapping that aligns rev-ids from the old official
> git mirror to the new git repository?

I could construct one, but this is not a request that has come up
before.  It would require a significant amount of new work.

> I tried loading the Emacs repository into reposurgeon.  I ran out of
> time/disk space - can you comment on how large the temporary
> fast-export file is, and how long it takes to export it?

It's bloody huge and it takes forever.

My full conversion runs take about 10 hours on a dual-core 2.66Ghz
machine, and I bought a terabyte drive so I wouldn't run out of space
while doing them.

I should have more exact numbers for you in nine hours or so.