all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
To: Ian Eure <ian@digg.com>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Marc Tfardy <bum@cyk.cyk>
Subject: Re: Emacs for Mac OS X - questions
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 12:35:57 +0200	[thread overview]

Am 27.06.2009 um 06:04 schrieb Ian Eure:

> 22-based Emacsen:
>
> [...]
>
>  - Emacs 22 from MacPorts. Newer than the version which ships with
> OS X, text-only.

There are also 22.3 packages which can be built and installed with Fink.

> 23-based Emacsen:
>
>  - Emacs-app from MacPorts. The CVS snapshot is five months out of
> date, and the non-CVS build is version "23.0.0_NS-9.0rc3." I have
> no idea what that means, since it doesn't resemble any of the
> pretest versions of Emacs 23 released so far.

The same is also available via Fink. This build was an intermediate
step to update the very old code basis of "Cocoa Emacs" – could be it
was 21.x! Since GNU Emacs 23.x exists half a decade and its Unicode
effort was seen, this code base was used (there 23.0.0) and the NS
(or GNUstep/OPENSTEP or Cocoa/Aqua) additions were patched into it.
It was on the way to a ready Emacs.app v. 9.0 (version 8.0 has a blue
icon and is based on 20.7) and Release Candidate 3.

It fits well into a museum… (for daily use not recommended, too
restricted)

>  - Compile your own from CVS. It's very straightforward.

It helps to have Fink or MacPorts with their additional software
packages available that are used by GNU Emacs 23.1.50.

--
Greetings

   Pete

If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then
the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.
				– Weinberg's Second Law