all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to get key maps info?
@ 2013-01-25 10:57 Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2013-01-25 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,
the C-h k describe a specific key, so that C-h k M-g g provides me the
documentation for goto-line. But what if I want to get all the
possible completion for M-g? Is there an help feature for that?

Thanks,
Luca

* Re: how to get key maps info?
@ 2013-01-25 11:09 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-01-25 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ferrari; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 25.01.2013 um 11:57 schrieb Luca Ferrari:

> Is there an help feature for that?

C-h b and in that buffer C-s M-g C-s C-l RET.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Only useless documentation transcends the first two laws.
				– Arnold's Third Law of Documentation

* Re: how to get key maps info?
@ 2013-01-25 11:12 ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2013-01-25 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it> writes:

> Hi all,
> the C-h k describe a specific key, so that C-h k M-g g provides me the
> documentation for goto-line. But what if I want to get all the
> possible completion for M-g? Is there an help feature for that?

In most situations, <prefix keys> C-h will do it, so that would be `M-g
C-h' in this case. I once knew why it works, but don't remember.

--
N.

* Re: how to get key maps info?
@ 2013-01-25 12:23   ` Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2013-01-25 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Richard; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks, and it is quite simple to remember!
Luca

> In most situations, <prefix keys> C-h will do it, so that would be `M-g
> C-h' in this case. I once knew why it works, but don't remember.

* RE: how to get key maps info?
@ 2013-01-25 16:35   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-01-25 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Nicolas Richard', help-gnu-emacs

> > the C-h k describe a specific key, so that C-h k M-g g
> > provides me the documentation for goto-line. But what if
> > I want to get all the possible completion for M-g?
> > Is there an help feature for that?
>
> In most situations, <prefix keys> C-h will do it, so that
> would be `M-g C-h' in this case.

That is a good answer, but there are some cases where it doesn't
work.  (I don't recall particular cases.  Isearch used to be one,
but that has been corrected.)

Other things that can help in this way:

1. `C-h b' and `C-h m' (which have already been mentioned).

2. `C-h M-k' to see all the bindings for a particular keymap.
Requires library `help-fns+.el'.  E.g., `C-h M-k ctl-x-map'.
This is especially useful for keymaps, such as minibuffer maps,
that you cannot easily examine otherwise.

3. `<prefix key> S-TAB' to complete the key sequence.  Requires
library `icicles.el'.  E.g., `M-g TAB' shows these completions:

..                       c  =  goto-char     ESC  =  ...
g  =  goto-line          M-g  =  goto-line   M-n  =  next-error
M-p  =  previous-error   n  =  next-error    p  =  previous-error
TAB  =  move-to-column

(`..' goes up a level, in this case above prefix key `M-g' to
the top.  `...' indicates here that ESC (i.e., `M-g M-') is
itself a prefix key.)

This shows you the available keys, but it also lets you invoke
them.  It is the equivalent, for keys, of completing a command
name when you use `M-x'.

During key completion, if you cycle among candidates then the
mode line of window *Completions* shows the first line of what
`C-h k' would show for the current candidate key.  `C-M-RET'
shows the full `C-h k' help for the current candidate key.

Info about #2 and #3:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HelpPlus
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Key_Completion