all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* missing fonts?
@ 2007-08-15 13:56 rahed
From: rahed @ 2007-08-15 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I installed package emacs 22 on Solaris.
After running it warns:

Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion

Do I have to set something?

--
Radek

* Re: missing fonts?
@ 2007-08-15 16:02 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-08-15 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rahed; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 15.08.2007 um 15:56 schrieb rahed:

> Do I have to set something?

Launch GNU Emacs with --debug-init to get a clearer information of
what failed in *Backtrace* buffer.

Coud be Solaris <whatsoever> is not providing some fonts because
either some package was not installed or you are using a faulty X11
font path value. 'xset q' will print its value. Then check whether
there are more directories that contain usable fonts (for example the
Lucida fonts in Java!). Prepare these directories with mkfontdir/
mkfontscale, add these directories to your font path (~/.xinitrc is
good place) and either relaunch X11 or correct font path in some
shell and run 'xset fp rehash'. Then see again what GNU Emacs is
telling you.

Check also which packages you haven't installed yet.

--
Greetings

   Pete

When people run around and around in circles we say they are crazy.
When planets do it we say they are orbiting.

* Re: missing fonts?
@ 2007-08-16  8:24   ` rahed
From: rahed @ 2007-08-16  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Launch GNU Emacs with --debug-init to get a clearer information of
> what failed in *Backtrace* buffer.

There is no *Backtrace* buffer after launching Emacs in a debugging
mode. Only *Scratch* and *Messages*.

> Coud be Solaris <whatsoever> is not providing some fonts because
> either some package was not installed or you are using a faulty X11
> font path value. 'xset q' will print its value. Then check whether
> there are more directories that contain usable fonts (for example the
> Lucida fonts in Java!). Prepare these directories with mkfontdir/
> mkfontscale, add these directories to your font path (~/.xinitrc is
> good place) and either relaunch X11 or correct font path in some
> shell and run 'xset fp rehash'. Then see again what GNU Emacs is
> telling you.

I checked font paths with another boxes which run Emacs smoothly and see
no differences.

> Check also which packages you haven't installed yet.

I hope I installed all as recommended at sunfreeware. Which package
should be checked regarding this error?

Thanks.

--
Radek

* Re: missing fonts?
@ 2007-08-16  8:37     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-08-16  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rahed; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 16.08.2007 um 10:24 schrieb rahed:

> I checked font paths with another boxes which run Emacs smoothly
> and see
> no differences.

And the contents of the directories in font path? Is an all these
boxes the same operating system  and the same version of GNU Emacs
running? Do they all have the same packages installed?

>> Check also which packages you haven't installed yet.
>
> I hope I installed all as recommended at sunfreeware. Which package
> should be checked regarding this error?

I don't know. Sun is changing the package names and I don't want to
know by heart for every Solaris version the set of package names.

Besides, the question is, what which purpose sunfreeware was or still
is recommending the packages ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Chicago, n.:
         Where the dead still vote ... early and often!