all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Customary prefix for custom keybindings
@ 2012-04-02 20:17 Kyle Sexton
From: Kyle Sexton @ 2012-04-02 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

All,

Is there a customary prefix for custom keybindings?  For example, say I
have a key binding that I want to setup for 'foo' mode, should I use
something like 'C-x f <key>' or 'C-c f <key>'?  I've seen C-x and C-c
used, but would rather not clobber other keybindings so would like to
use the customary prefix if possible.

--
Kyle Sexton
ks@mocker.org

* Re: Customary prefix for custom keybindings
       [not found] <mailman.389.1333398085.20052.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-04-02 21:40 ` Dan Espen
From: Dan Espen @ 2012-04-02 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kyle Sexton <ks@mocker.org> writes:

> All,
>
> Is there a customary prefix for custom keybindings?  For example, say I
> have a key binding that I want to setup for 'foo' mode, should I use
> something like 'C-x f <key>' or 'C-c f <key>'?  I've seen C-x and C-c
> used, but would rather not clobber other keybindings so would like to
> use the customary prefix if possible.

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Key-Binding-Conventions.html
-or-
http://tinyurl.com/ybzqmu8

--
Dan Espen

@ 2012-04-04  4:44 ` Xah Lee
       [not found]   ` <mailman.524.1333565725.20052.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xah Lee @ 2012-04-04  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

By official gnu emacs manual's guideline, (info "Key Binding
Conventions") the key space for users are the function keys F5 to F9,
and 【Ctrl+c ‹letter›】. that's it.

for good practical suggestions of keyspace to use,  you might checkout

〈Emacs: How to Define Keyboard Shortcuts〉
http://xahlee.org/emacs/keyboard_shortcuts.html

 Xah

@ 2012-04-04 18:55   ` Drew Adams
       [not found]   ` <mailman.524.1333565725.20052.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-04-04 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Xah Lee', help-gnu-emacs

> By official gnu emacs manual's guideline, (info "Key Binding
> Conventions") the key space for users are the function keys F5 to F9,
> and ?Ctrl+c ‹letter›?. that's it.

Those are _reserved_ for users.  But users can bind any keys they like.

That is, users not only can do that, but they are not discouraged from doing so.

Just be aware that other keys are not reserved, which means only that programs
are not discouraged from binding them.  You need to override any existing
binding for such a key that some library might make (instead of letting the
library override you ;-)).

@ 2012-04-04 23:51     ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2012-04-04 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 4, 11:55 am, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
> > By official gnu emacs manual's guideline, (info "Key Binding
> > Conventions") the key space for users are the function keys F5 to F9,
> > and ?Ctrl+c ‹letter›?. that's it.
>
> Those are _reserved_ for users.  But users can bind any keys they like.
>
> That is, users not only can do that, but they are not discouraged from doing so.
>
> Just be aware that other keys are not reserved, which means only that programs
> are not discouraged from binding them.  You need to override any existing
> binding for such a key that some library might make (instead of letting the
> library override you ;-)).

good point.

 Xah