all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to stop TRAMP from asking for sudo password on every startup?
@ 2008-04-16  8:45 Jonathan Groll
From: Jonathan Groll @ 2008-04-16  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there a customisation option to stop TRAMP from asking for the sudo
password upon launching emacs? Sometimes I don't want to do any sudo
edits, but it still asks every time. This problem seems to have
started after I opened some buffers with /sudo::/ , from what I can
tell there is nothing in my .emacs or custom.el actively starting
tramp.

Many thanks,
Jonathan.

* Re: How to stop TRAMP from asking for sudo password on every startup?
       [not found] <mailman.10438.1208357924.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-04-16 15:32 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2008-04-16 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 16, 9:45 am, Jonathan Groll <li...@groll.co.za> wrote:

> This problem seems to have
> started after I opened some buffers with /sudo::/ , from what I can
> tell there is nothing in my .emacs or custom.el actively starting
> tramp.

Do you use desktop.el or some other package that saves state between
sessions?

* Re: How to stop TRAMP from asking for sudo password on every startup?
@ 2008-04-16 15:37 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-04-16 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Groll; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 16.04.2008 um 10:45 schrieb Jonathan Groll:
> This problem seems to have
> started after I opened some buffers with /sudo::/ , from what I can
> tell there is nothing in my .emacs or custom.el actively starting
> tramp.

Are you using session.el or desktop.el that some buffers are restored
when GNU Emacs is launched?

Could you also report versions of GNU Emacs and of TRAMP, please!
(variables emacs-version and tramp-version)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Bake pizza not war!

* Re: How to stop TRAMP from asking for sudo password on every startup?
@ 2008-04-16 17:01 ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-04-16 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Groll; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jonathan Groll <lists@groll.co.za> writes:

> Is there a customisation option to stop TRAMP from asking for the sudo
> password upon launching emacs? Sometimes I don't want to do any sudo
> edits, but it still asks every time. This problem seems to have
> started after I opened some buffers with /sudo::/ , from what I can
> tell there is nothing in my .emacs or custom.el actively starting
> tramp.

The only time I get asked for the password at startup is if I closed
Emacs with desktop-save-mode set to t, and a "/su::" file open.  I make
sure to kill those buffers as soon as I'm done with them and then no
problems!

If, on the other hand, you still get this behavior then please file a
bug report.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
properly dispose of this information.

* Re: How to stop TRAMP from asking for sudo password on every startup?
@ 2008-04-16 18:24   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2008-04-16 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel J. Adamson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) writes:

> Jonathan Groll  writes:
>
>> Is there a customisation option to stop TRAMP from asking for the sudo
>> password upon launching emacs? Sometimes I don't want to do any sudo
>> edits, but it still asks every time. This problem seems to have
>> started after I opened some buffers with /sudo::/ , from what I can
>> tell there is nothing in my .emacs or custom.el actively starting
>> tramp.
>
> The only time I get asked for the password at startup is if I closed
> Emacs with desktop-save-mode set to t, and a "/su::" file open.  I make
> sure to kill those buffers as soon as I'm done with them and then no
> problems!

Tramp 2.1 has a function to remove all remote buffers. The following
might help you (untested):

  (add-hook 'desktop-save-hook 'tramp-cleanup-all-buffers)

> If, on the other hand, you still get this behavior then please file a
> bug report.

Yes, please.

> Joel

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: How to stop TRAMP from asking for sudo password on every startup?
@ 2008-04-17 11:21   ` Jonathan Groll
From: Jonathan Groll @ 2008-04-17 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 08:32:53AM -0700, Jason Rumney wrote:
> On Apr 16, 9:45 am, Jonathan Groll <li...@groll.co.za> wrote:
>
> > This problem seems to have
> > started after I opened some buffers with /sudo::/ , from what I can
> > tell there is nothing in my .emacs or custom.el actively starting
> > tramp.
>
> Do you use desktop.el or some other package that saves state between
> sessions?

Aha! You've set me on the right track, it was:
(require 'recentf)
(recentf-mode 1)

@ 2008-04-17 17:17     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2008-04-17 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Groll; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Jason Rumney

Jonathan Groll <lists@groll.co.za> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 08:32:53AM -0700, Jason Rumney wrote:
>> On Apr 16, 9:45 am, Jonathan Groll  wrote:
>>
>> > This problem seems to have
>> > started after I opened some buffers with /sudo::/ , from what I can
>> > tell there is nothing in my .emacs or custom.el actively starting
>> > tramp.
>>
>> Do you use desktop.el or some other package that saves state between
>> sessions?
>
> Aha! You've set me on the right track, it was:
> (require 'recentf)
> (recentf-mode 1)

See variable `recentf-keep'. The following might prevent the trouble in
the future (I assume you're running Emacs 22):

  (add-to-list 'recentf-keep 'file-remote-p)

With Emacs 23, this won't be necessary.

> Many thanks,
> Jonathan.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: How to stop TRAMP from asking for sudo password on every startup?
@ 2008-04-18 13:25     ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-04-18 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) writes:
>
>> Jonathan Groll  writes:
>>
>>> Is there a customisation option to stop TRAMP from asking for the sudo
>>> password upon launching emacs? Sometimes I don't want to do any sudo
>>> edits, but it still asks every time. This problem seems to have
>>> started after I opened some buffers with /sudo::/ , from what I can
>>> tell there is nothing in my .emacs or custom.el actively starting
>>> tramp.
>>
>> The only time I get asked for the password at startup is if I closed
>> Emacs with desktop-save-mode set to t, and a "/su::" file open.  I make
>> sure to kill those buffers as soon as I'm done with them and then no
>> problems!
>
> Tramp 2.1 has a function to remove all remote buffers. The following
> might help you (untested):
>
>   (add-hook 'desktop-save-hook 'tramp-cleanup-all-buffers)

Sweet!  That will save me thirty seconds at the end of every day ;)

Joel