all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* RE: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 131, Issue 82
       [not found] <mailman.254537.1421716734.1146.emacs-devel@gnu.org>
@ 2015-01-20  9:23 ` David Requena Zabala
From: David Requena Zabala @ 2015-01-20  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org

<Óscar Fuentes>
> Now, it is my point that didn't get through. The only supported scrollbars on Windows
>  are the native ones. AFAIK that was the case since the beginning.

<Eli Zaretskii>
> No, it's not possible in the w32 build.  It never was, AFAIK.  The native scroll bars are X only.

OK, thanks to both. I might of course be misremembering from emacs 19 on OS/2, or completely wrong altogether. Will try Oscar's suggestion about thinner SCs.

At any rate, if someone was to implement an hypothetical '--without-w32-toolkit-scroll-bars', would it take entering much into the elisp realm?

Probably having different kinds of sc means some form of common scroll bar api exists for sc implementation code to use and/or plug in. I mean, kind of how the w32_wnd_proc callback handles the WM_EMACS_CREATESCROLLBAR message by calling w32_createscrollbar. Is this the case? Is it described somewhere?

Thanks again!

 David Requena Zabala
 Comunicaciones Internacional

  Tel: 985 732 273
  Fax:
 C/ Dinamarca, nº19, 2º, Pol. Ind. Espíritu Santo
 33010 Oviedo Asturias
 drequena@gamalquiler.com
  http://www.gamalquiler.com/

Visite nuestra web de venta http://www.gamusado.com/
P Tenga en cuenta las consecuencias para el medio ambiente antes de imprimir este mensaje.
Este mensaje contiene información de carácter privado y CONFIDENCIAL y se dirige exclusivamente a su destinatario. Si usted no es el destinatario al que se dirige, le rogamos que nos lo comunique por teléfono o correo electrónico, proceda a su destrucción y no debe leerlo, copiarlo, utilizarlo ni difundirlo.
This message contains privileged and CONFIDENTIAL information and is intended exclusively for its addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, please telephone or email the sender, delete it and do not read, copy, use or disclose it. (A)

* Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 131, Issue 82
@ 2015-01-20  9:48   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2015-01-20  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Requena Zabala; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

David Requena Zabala <DRequena@gamalquiler.com> writes:

> <Óscar Fuentes>
>> Now, it is my point that didn't get through. The only supported
>> scrollbars on Windows
>>  are the native ones. AFAIK that was the case since the beginning.
>
> <Eli Zaretskii>
>> No, it's not possible in the w32 build.  It never was, AFAIK.  The
>> native scroll bars are X only.
>
> OK, thanks to both. I might of course be misremembering from emacs 19
> on OS/2,

That's not W32.

> or completely wrong altogether. Will try Oscar's suggestion about
> thinner SCs.

It occurs to me that if the Lucid scrollbars are not supported under
Windows, the respective option combination should bomb out at configure
time rather than at runtime.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 131, Issue 82
@ 2015-01-20 16:28   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-01-20 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Requena Zabala; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: David Requena Zabala <DRequena@gamalquiler.com>
> Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 10:23:37 +0100
>
> At any rate, if someone was to implement an hypothetical
> '--without-w32-toolkit-scroll-bars', would it take entering much into the elisp
> realm?

No, it shouldn't touch the Lisp level at all.  The implementation of
the scroll bars is entirely on the C level.

> Probably having different kinds of sc means some form of common scroll bar api
> exists for sc implementation code to use and/or plug in. I mean, kind of how
> the w32_wnd_proc callback handles the WM_EMACS_CREATESCROLLBAR message by
> calling w32_createscrollbar. Is this the case? Is it described somewhere?

See w32term.c:w32_set_vertical_scroll_bar for the Windows
implementation and xterm.c:XTset_vertical_scroll_bar for the X
implementation.  The guts are in x_scroll_bar_create in both cases,
but the API you were asking about is defined by the former two
functions, which implement the hook called by Emacs when it wants to
display the scroll bar.  How this maps into the windowing system is
entirely hidden from the higher levels; on Windows this sends a
message to the GUI thread, which calls the corresponding Windows API.

* Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 131, Issue 82
@ 2015-01-20 16:30     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-01-20 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: DRequena, emacs-devel

> From: David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
> Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 10:48:07 +0100
> Cc: "emacs-devel@gnu.org" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> It occurs to me that if the Lucid scrollbars are not supported under
> Windows, the respective option combination should bomb out at configure
> time rather than at runtime.

It does now.

* Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 131, Issue 82
@ 2015-01-20 16:35     ` David Requena Zabala
From: David Requena Zabala @ 2015-01-20 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Many, many, thanks!
Now lets see if my skills are up to ?emacs level :-)

Saludos
David.Requena/GAM

Note: this e-mail composed while on mobility, please bear with any typing mistakes.

.

@ 2015-01-22 12:00       ` David Requena Zabala
From: David Requena Zabala @ 2015-01-22 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, David Kastrup; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

>> It occurs to me that if the Lucid scrollbars are not supported under
>> Windows, the respective option combination should bomb out at
>> configure time rather than at runtime.
>
>It does now.

Sorry but... no. This is with a just cloned repo.

$ CFLAGS='-O0 -g3' ../src-trunk/emacs/configure --enable-checking=yes,glyphs --without-toolkit-scroll-bars
checking for xcrun... no
checking for GNU Make... make
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c
[... snip ...]

Configured for `i686-pc-mingw32'.

  Where should the build process find the source code?    ../src-trunk/emacs
  What compiler should emacs be built with?               gcc -std=gnu99  -O0 -g3
  Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             no
    (The GNU allocators don't work with this system configuration.)
  Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    no
  Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         yes
  What window system should Emacs use?                    w32
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          none
  Where do we find X Windows header files?                NONE
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   NONE
  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use a gif library?                           yes
  Does Emacs use a png library?                           yes
  Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2?                                yes
  Does Emacs use imagemagick?                             no
  Does Emacs support sound?                               yes
  Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -ldbus?                                  no
  Does Emacs use -lgconf?                                 no
  Does Emacs use GSettings?                               no
  Does Emacs use a file notification library?             yes (w32)
  Does Emacs use access control lists?                    yes
  Does Emacs use -lselinux?                               no
  Does Emacs use -lgnutls?                                yes
  Does Emacs use -lxml2?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -lfreetype?                              no
  Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt?                              no
  Does Emacs use -lotf?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   no
  Does Emacs directly use zlib?                           yes
  Does Emacs use toolkit scroll bars?                     No

Not only it does not bomb but even that last line seems to indicate that everything is fine and dandy.
I'd not had asked otherwise.

@ 2015-01-22 15:18         ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2015-01-22 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

David Requena Zabala <DRequena@gamalquiler.com> writes:

>>> It occurs to me that if the Lucid scrollbars are not supported under
>>> Windows, the respective option combination should bomb out at
>>> configure time rather than at runtime.
>>
>>It does now.
>
> Sorry but... no. This is with a just cloned repo.

The fix was committed as 3ee38f2000944d50adb2c65bd1af11c464c87950 in the
emacs-24 branch. That branch is merged from time to time into master,
something that didn't hapenned yet since that commit.

[snip]

* Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 131, Issue 82
@ 2015-01-22 16:14           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-01-22 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 16:18:55 +0100

> >>It does now.
> >
> > Sorry but... no. This is with a just cloned repo.
>
> The fix was committed as 3ee38f2000944d50adb2c65bd1af11c464c87950 in the
> emacs-24 branch. That branch is merged from time to time into master,
> something that didn't hapenned yet since that commit.

Indeed.

And even when this commit is merged to master, simply running the
configure script after "git pull" will still run the old configure
script.  You need to say "make" to have the configure script
automatically regenerated and re-run, and _then_ you will see it
reject --without-toolkit-scroll-bars.

* Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 131, Issue 82
@ 2015-01-22 16:29 David Requena Zabala
From: David Requena Zabala @ 2015-01-22 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org

>> Sorry but... no. This is with a just cloned repo.
>
> The fix was committed as 3ee38f2000944d50adb2c65bd1af11c464c87950 in the
> emacs-24 branch. That branch is merged from time to time into master, something that didn't hapenned yet since that commit.

Sorry, my bad.