all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Forcing M-X compile to split window vertically?
@ 2012-01-10 18:34 Roy Smith
From: Roy Smith @ 2012-01-10 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm using GNU Emacs 23.1.1.  When I run M-X compile, the window is split into two.  Depending on the aspect ratio of my original window, it automagically splits it horizontally or vertically.  How can I force it to only split vertically?

---
Roy Smith
roy@panix.com

* Re: Forcing M-X compile to split window vertically?
@ 2012-01-11  2:57 ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2012-01-11  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roy Smith; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Roy Smith wrote:
> I'm using GNU Emacs 23.1.1.  When I run M-X compile, the window is
> split into two.  Depending on the aspect ratio of my original
> window, it automagically splits it horizontally or vertically.  How
> can I force it to only split vertically?

I found that annoying too.  The documentation says:

     By default, these commands split the window vertically when there is
  only one.  You can customize the variables `split-height-threshold' and
  `split-width-threshold' to split the window horizontally instead.

So setting split-width-threshold to nil solves the problem.

  (setq split-width-threshold nil)

Bob

* Re: Forcing M-X compile to split window vertically?
@ 2012-01-11  3:00   ` Roy Smith
From: Roy Smith @ 2012-01-11  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Proulx; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs